Santa Barbara Hillel
We have an immediate opening to begin this January 2022.
We’re growing our Student Life Team! Help inspire the Jewish future by joining Santa Barbara Hillel as an Engagement Associate. We are seeking an outgoing, fun, well-organized person with a can-do attitude to collaborate with the current Engagement Associate and the Israel Engagement Specialist: IACT to reach out to uninvolved and underinvolved students. You will build one on one relationships with students, put on awesome events around campus, and help inspire students to make a commitment to Jewish life.
You’ll meet students where they are, help them find their way along their Jewish journey, and involve them in Jewish life. You’ll typically travel to Israel multiple times each year, and give special outreach to Hillel student leaders, first year students, Greek life, LGBTQ students, potential Taglit-Birthright applicants, Santa Barbara City College (SBCC), and other students who might not otherwise find their way into Hillel. You will help ensure that Santa Barbara Hillel is a robust, vibrant, and positive Jewish presence on campus and in the community. With year-round fantastic weather, you’ll be happy to smile in the sunshine with our students every step of the way.
What You’ll Do
- Develop individual student relationships; through these relationships, explore areas of student interest and utilize relationships
- Develop an overall strategy of outreach initiatives to reach out to Jewish first year students, Greek, LGBTQ, and others to bring them into the campus Jewish community
- Immersion Experiences: Promote and recruit students for Taglit-birthright Israel and other immersive travel experiences, serve as staff (including potentially multiple Israel trips annually), and follow up with continued engagement after the trips return
- Identify, recruit, and supervise select student leaders
- Participate as a member of the Hillel staff team in programs, including Shabbat and holidays
- Play a key role in our social media strategy and implementation, including all kinds of social media
What You’re Great At
- Understanding the needs of a highly social student population
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining quality across all areas
- Listening to others and helping them find the next step in their Jewish journey
- Addressing large crowds with enthusiasm and confidence
- Sharing ideas that you foresee promoting the growth of students and initiatives
- Fluency with social media and other PR and media tools
- Learning from experience and making the necessary adjustments in a timely manner
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- A Bachelor’s degree and 0 – 1 years of professional work experience. Experience as a volunteer or professional in a Jewish organization is a plus, as is customer service or other types of direct customer relations work.
- A team-oriented approach to work, a self-directed work ethic, a sense of humor, an ability to connect with and appreciate diverse personalities, and a willingness to take risks and learn from each new challenge or success.
- A sense of comfort with your Jewish self, while actively cultivating this piece of your identity with and alongside students.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $40,000 - $42,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
- A breathtaking view of the mountains from your office, three-minute walk to the beach, a tight knit staff team and support system, an always plentiful snack cabinet, and perfect weather year-round
About Santa Barbara Hillel
Located on the beach in one of the most beautiful places on earth, Santa Barbara Hillel is an integral part of the broader Santa Barbara community. With one of the strongest Birthright Israel programs in the nation, Santa Barbara Hillel is a vibrant hub of Jewish student life. Noted for its relaxed, fun atmosphere and strong academics, UC Santa Barbara is ranked as a “top 5 public university” in the country. UCSB has a thriving Jewish life, with the highest percentage of Jewish students and the most Jewish undergrads in the entire UC system.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Santa Barbara Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all. Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume, three references including contact information, and cover letter.