Temple Beth Avodah seeks a Music/Cantorial Leader to join our inclusive, nurturing and progressive Reform congregation in Newton, MA in July of 2023. TBA is a welcoming community that embraces diversity and is a home for approximately 400 member families in every stage of life. We aspire to be here for our community and live our vision where “the door is always open, and the lights are always on.” We are committed to engaging our community both in physical and digital spaces through a variety of onsite and online experiences.
Music is the soul of TBA’s culture and identity. We embrace our love of music through youth, adult, and intergenerational choirs, Jazz Shabbat, Temple musicals, and more. We value the engagement of our members of all ages and seek someone who inspires participation and builds community. We invite you to explore our YouTube page to see us in action.
This is a full-time, 12-month position that includes evening and weekend commitments based on the Shabbat, holidays, and school schedule. We are committed to a flexible and supportive work environment and will work with you to develop an appropriate and manageable schedule that meets both your needs and the synagogue’s needs. As a member of our senior staff team, you will partner in providing musical and congregational leadership.
- Broaden and enhance vision for integrating music into synagogue life in collaboration with the Senior Rabbi
- Collaborate with leadership team for Temple events and outreach to congregants
- Plan and lead weekly Friday night Shabbat services, holiday celebrations, and life cycle events with the Senior Rabbi
- Encourage congregational involvement in music and prayer particularly through directing the intergenerational choir, children’s choir, and teen songleading program
- Partner with the TBA education team on the music and prayer curriculum for the early learning center through grade 12
- Coordinate and/or tutor students in B’nai Mitzvah program
- Creative, open-minded person with a warm and positive attitude
- Fluency in guitar or piano, music reading, basic harmony and Trope
- Knowledge of liturgy and rituals of Shabbat services, lifecycle events, and holidays
- Strong organizational, communication, and collaboration skills
- Ability to relate to people of all ages
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Training in voice, music education, or related area
- Musical leadership in a Jewish setting
Compensation & Benefits
- Annual Salary: $85,000-$110,000 commensurate with experience
- Benefits: health, dental, vacation, sick days, long term disability, parental leave
- Flexible and supportive work environment
- Allowance for Professional development conferences and networks
Statement on Hiring
Temple Beth Avodah encourages all individuals to apply for this position and seeks a diverse pool of candidates. No candidate will meet 100 percent of the qualifications or experience. Individuals with a variety of backgrounds including Cantors, Cantorial Soloists, Rabbis, musical directors, and song leaders are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. In addition, please submit videos (or links) of leading a rehearsal or service and a solo recording.