The Assistant Camp Director – Operations is responsible for assisting with management of all operations relating to Steve & Shari Sadek Family Camp Interlaken JCC in Eagle River, WI. Working closely with the Camp Director, this position helps with the total development, implementation, oversight, and administration of the Steve & Shari Sadek Family Camp Interlaken JCC. This position will be responsible for managing human and financial resources, as well as contributing to plans for effective marketing that contribute positively to the recruitment and retention of campers and staff.
The Assistant Camp Director – Operations promotes process and structure, cooperation, participation, and harmony within the department and creates a sense of collegiality and professionalism in a team environment. This position participates in JCC center-wide organizational tasks and program delivery.
There’s something magical about this place! Located on 106 acres in Wisconsin’s north woods and nestled between two beautiful lakes, the Steve & Shari Sadek Family Camp Interlaken JCC is the resident camp of the Harry & Rose Samson Family JCC in Milwaukee and is home to over 400 campers each summer. Since 1966, Camp Interlaken has welcomed Jewish children and teens entering 3rd grade through 10th grade from all over the world.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Supervise summer office operations, building services, vendor relationships, and office team
* Oversee the physical opening and closing of camp each spring and fall
* Administer Camp website and co-manage the Camp Interlaken online presence
* Partner with the JCC’s IT department to support the ongoing technology needs of camp; manage office equipment, A/V equipment, etc.
* Manage and implement best practices in staff recruitment, management, and development including on-site and pre-camp staff orientation.
* Coordinate and oversee all scheduling and logistics of camp activities.
* Partner with the Assistant Director of Program to run the day-to-day operations of the Camp season.
* Organize and ensure accuracy of hiring documentation & summer payroll to ensure all employees are paid accurately and on-time.
* Manage emergency procedures & drills and Health Department visit.
* Provide key leadership to ACA accreditation process and visit.
* Participate in camper recruitment planning and actively recruit campers as part of the sales force.
* Manage Camp petty cash and accounts payable responsibilities.
* Manage purchasing and ensure accurate inventory of Camp assets.
* Assist with the development and management of the budget.
* Interview, manage and oversee Ozrim (staff in training) program and application process.
* Maintain awareness, knowledge and understanding of current social trends, including Jewish camping, child development, social media and customer service.
* Assume responsibilities as assigned for JCC special events.
* Must actively promote and practice the organization’s Positive Rules of Communication.
* Perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as needed.
Decision Making by Co-determination
The Assistant Camp Director – Operations makes independent decisions when necessary regarding responsiveness to staff and program user needs and concerns regarding building service delivery, as well as managing the multiple functions of Camp Interlaken. The Assistant Camp Director – Operations communicates on a regular basis with and supports the guidance and direction offered by the Camp Director of the JCC. They consult with the Camp Director and, when necessary, the COO on decision making regarding the daily functioning of Camp Interlaken and functions, apprising the Camp Director, and, when necessary, COO of any challenges that are currently being faced in a timely manner.
This is a partial list of required duties and responsibilities. The performance of other duties not listed may be become necessary as business conditions dictate.
Qualifications - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements (KSAs)
* Demonstrated proficiency with computer software: including MS Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, & other online media platforms.
* Demonstrated effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills; customer-service orientation with specific strength in diplomacy and discretion strongly preferred.
* Excellent public speaking and salesmanship; ability to communicate clearly and concisely to both children and parents.
* Knowledge & passion for the North American Jewish community, the State of Israel, & Jewish history, traditions & customs.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
* Demonstrated ability to develop new initiatives from the ground up.
* Highly motivated, organized, detail orientated and responsible self-starter.
* Demonstrate skills in leadership, effective management strategies, organization, and flexibility necessary to work with campers, camp counselors and other staff.
* Ability to promote high standards of work quality, and resolve conflict and problems effectively, demonstrate maturity as well as the ability to get along with a variety of people.
* Ability to respond effectively to constructive criticism and give constructive feedback to team members.
Education and/or Experience
* Undergraduate degree and/or work experience in a field relating to Jewish camping or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Minimum of three years of supervisory and leadership experience in Jewish Camping.
* Must be able to relocate to Camp (in Eagle River, WI) June - August and visit for other times in the off-season.
* Must be able to travel for camper recruitment, job fairs, and conferences throughout the year.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call (414) 964-4444 or contact us at hr at jccmilwaukee dot org.