Pardes Jewish Day School is a premier Jewish independent school for children in grades kindergarten through eighth grade, founded in 1993. Pardes is the largest Jewish Day School in Arizona, located in Scottsdale. The School prepares students to become outstanding members of society through a rigorous secular and Judaic education, a nurturing community, and a foundation in Judaism that welcomes all Jewish traditions.
POSITION: School Counselor
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB PURPOSE: Pardes Jewish Day School seeks a full-time school counselor for the 2023-2024 school year. This position is an excellent opportunity to become a member of a community of highly qualified and dedicated thinkers, innovators, and leaders in their fields.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Knowledge of multiple counseling approaches
- Knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of how to work with students with behavioral issues
- Able to support and communicate effectively with students in grades kindergarten through eighth, faculty, and parents.
- Ability to listen, advise, and counsel students regarding academic, educational, and social and emotional problems.
- Remains accessible and makes an effort to know every student
- Provides individual student planning and responsive services to support students and their families regarding academic/social/emotional matters.
- Teaches social/emotional learning curriculum classes to students through planned activities in small group or classroom settings to convey educational, social, and important issues, and offers workshops/seminars for parents.
- Consults, facilitates, and maintains communication with parents, teachers, and administrators
- Mediates issues between students or between a student and a teacher
- Creates action plans with students
- Participates on a Student Services Team, identifies students who may need targeted or intensive services, and coordinates with behavioral health specialists.
- Provides brief counseling to address social and emotional concerns and appropriately refers students to behavioral health specialists.
- Communicates, coordinates, and collaborates with behavioral health specialists on developing and implementing student supports.
- Supports and attends appropriate student activities and events
- Create and maintain a positive visible presence on campus with students and faculty
- Facilitate and manage the implementation of the school-wide social and emotional learning programs
- Provide and coordinate professional development for faculty and staff in collaboration with the administration
- Initiate and plan parent education events and activities
- Cultivate a positive community, culture and climate
ADDITIONALLY, SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL DEMONSTRATE:
- A desire to work in a school that prizes excellence in academics while nurturing students to become lifelong learners.
- An engaging teaching style
- A strong desire to be part of an innovative, collaborative team to foster the emotional well being and academic success of students
- Ability to create strong relationships with parents
- Participation in all aspects of school life, including after-school coaching, club leadership, and enrichment programs (is preferred but not required)
- Strong organizational skills
- Able to appreciate working in a Jewish Day School
- Master’s degree in counseling, licensed social work, or other pertinent degree
- Three to five years of experience working with students in kindergarten through eighth grade
- Excellent listener, kind, and empathic.
- Must be able to pass an initial fingerprint and background clearance check and maintain a valid fingerprint clearance card at all times when in the classroom.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours.
- May be required to travel to perform work functions.
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
Interested applicants should complete and submit an Employment Application.
Pardes Jewish Day School, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.