The Jewish Youth Climate Movement (JYCM) is a Gen Z-led movement dedicated to combating climate change and environmental injustice from a Jewish lens. Our goal is to make taking collective action towards climate justice a central, defining feature of what it means to be Jewish over the next decade, empowering the next generation of Jewish youth to be leaders in our fight to build a sustainable and equitable world for all. JYCM is a program of Hazon.
The JYCM NY Kvutzah Coordinator will facilitate network- and community-building opportunities for NY-based JYCM Kvutzot (local chapters) and provide resources about sustainability and climate-focused community engagement to affiliated Jewish institutions and organizations. Key responsibilities will include establishing a regional cohort of 15 new Kvutzot, in addition to our existing five; oversight of our NY Climate Activism Series, coordinating and facilitating regional gatherings, and ensuring smooth implementation of logistics as related to national retreats. The NY Kvutzah Coordinator works closely with the Kvutzah Amitim (College Fellows), and the Kvutzah Director (a member of the teen Executive Board), as well as the JYCM staff team.
This position ideally begins on June 6, 2022, and will be mostly remote, based out of NYC. During your time at Hazon, you will be supervised by the JYCM Director, and your activities will include:
Support the expansion and improvement of Kvutzot in NY
- Support in building the JYCM NY Kvtuzah strategy, which will include investing deeply in Kvutzot we already have, growing at a sustainable and equitable pace, building Kvutzot support systems and networks, and emphasizing communication and community building in the target region.
- Recruit and provide support to local Jewish teens, facilitate network- and community-building opportunities for NY-based Kvutzot and provide resources about sustainability and climate-focused community engagement to affiliated Jewish institutions.
- Hold informational meetings with teens or institutions who indicate interest in starting Kvutzot. If they decide they would like to, closely support them in the creation of a Kvutzah.
- Support the team of JYCM leaders as they welcome new Kvutzot.
- Create and implement systems to support Kvutzot as they grow, develop, and troubleshoot. This includes developing a Kvutzah buddy system, matching each Kvutzah with a leadership point-person, and building integrated networks for Kvutzot to organize together in a supportive community.
- Plan programs, events, regional gatherings, meetups, and activities to happen in the target region, for the NY Kvutzah Cohort
- Support monthly national calls for all Kvutzah leaders, which include welcoming and onboarding new leaders and creating a space for bonding and learning.
- Help develop a training, guide, and optional community of practice for adult mentors on centering youth leadership in Kvutzot.
- Help plan and implement a few in person retreats/conferences throughout the year.
- Center equity and inclusion in all Kvutzah work.
Communications, Marketing, and Systems Support:
- Continue to foster communication between Kvutzot and the Leadership Board, through things like a Kvutzah newsletter and monthly Google Updates Form.
- Maintain the spreadsheet and folders with information about NY Kvutzot.
- Identify potential members, track membership, and maintain engagement with members.
- Encourage NY Kvutzah members to share pictures of activities they’re doing, write blog posts, and engage with JYCM’s social media to further develop our public branding and image.
- Support JYCM Marketing and Communications needs, including working with the Communications Working Group and helping to create strong communications strategies for the movement.
Helpful prior skills and experience include:
- Experience working with youth as an educator, counselor, or youth advisor
- Strong communication and teamwork abilities
- Strong administration and Google Drive skills
- Ability to multitask and hold multiple projects at once
- Self-starter, ability to self-motivate and work on solo projects as needed
- Strong attention to detail as well as ability to hold a big-picture view
- Commitment to deadlines and task completion
- Organizing and movement-building skills experience a plus
- Retreat, conference, or event planning and coordination a plus
- Marketing and communication skills a plus