Applications are open for the 2023-2024 Avodah's Jewish Service Corps, a year-long program for individuals ages 21-26 to build a lifetime of leadership skills, an active Jewish community, a powerful professional network, and a more just America.
Spend a year serving in a full-time position at a leading nonprofit organization while living and learning in a justice-driven Jewish community. As a member of the Jewish Services Corps, you will:
- Gain a year of hands-on experience. After matching with an organization in Chicago, New Orleans, New York, or Washington, D.C., you'll contribute meaningfully to on-the-ground efforts on crucial justice issues such as immigration, climate change, education, healthcare, criminal justice, and more.
- Develop skills as a social justice advocate. Avodah’s curriculum will help you critically examine the causes and effects of structural poverty, develop practical skills to make meaningful change, and gain Jewish social justice insights. It is designed to deepen and contextualize your day-to-day work as a Corps Member, while supporting you in finding your place in the broader justice movement after the Service Corps.
- Create lasting Jewish community. Home-cooked Shabbat dinners, late night conversations, and holiday celebrations make living in the bayit (communal home) memorable and meaningful. Corps Members co-create intentional, pluralistic communities across the country, including in our Jews of Color Bayit in NYC.
- Have your basic needs met. Avodah takes care of the most important things. Corps Members receive housing, a monthly living stipend, health insurance, and a travel allowance. Corps Members can also tap into the economic access fund to support unmet financial needs.
- Access Jewish justice opportunities for life. Over 1,400 social justice leaders across the country serve as "Avodahniks," – active, engaged members of your future community. From apartment hunts to job references to holiday meal invitations, our alumni will have your back.
Avodah is committed to building a service corps that inclusively represents the diverse Jewish Community. Sephardi Jews, Mizrahi Jews, Jews of Color, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBT2QIA people, and people who come from poor or working class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!
Are you the next Jewish Corps Member? Apply by the priority January 25th deadline. You can also visit avodah.net/serve, or email [email protected] to learn more or nominate a friend. The program will run August 2023 - August 2024.