INTERIM RELIGIOUS SCHOOL DIRECTOR
We are a vibrant and welcoming Conservative synagogue in Northern Virginia looking for a part time, Interim Religious School Director. Our current Director retired, and we are currently reevaluating our religious school model for maximum growth and engagement. Position is beginning immediately, through June 2023 with potential for full time after June 2023.
GENERAL DUTIES AND STRUCTURE
The primary mission of the Beth Emeth Religious School (RS) Director is to manage the day-to-day operations of a school focused on providing our children the basic tools and inspiration to live their lives as Conservative Jews. The curriculum offers instruction in Hebrew, prayer, and ritual; Jewish history and cultural heritage; Torah studies and Jewish beliefs and ethics; Israel, current events relating to Israel and Judaism. The Director provides vision, leadership, and direction to the Congregation’s K to 10 formal educational programs.
HOURS: 20 hours a week
Creation of a positive school climate; and the administration and supervision of the school.
Operationally, the RS Director reports to the Executive Director. The Rabbi provides advice and guidance in the educational activities of the Congregation. The Vice President for Education is the lay leader who provides oversight for the policies, procedures and budgetary issues of the school. The RS Director works closely with the Preschool Director and Engagement & Youth Director to ensure consistent programming and continuity for the students and their families, and to provide a smooth transition among the grades and activities.
- Communication: Responsible for communications with parents and families, synagogue staff, lay leadership and congregation as a whole
- Supervision: Responsible for recruiting and advising Religious School faculty, including classroom teachers, Special Needs Coordinator, B’nai Mitzvah instructor(s), leaders of student religious services, Religious School Administrative Assistant, and Madrichim
- Finance: Responsible for oversight and budget planning, in consultation with the appropriate committees; manages payroll process for Religious School employees
- Logistics: Responsible for developing and maintaining Religious School calendar and for coordination of physical plant for all Religious School classes and activities; also, responsible for oversight of student registration, enrollment, and class placement
PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION
- Curriculum: During this transition year, the curriculum is being led by the lead teacher to ensure the program of instruction meets benchmarks defined in United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ) Framework of Excellence, in conjunction with the Rabbi. The interim director will be kept informed of curriculum plans and consulted as appropriate.
- Programming: Coordinate with Engagement & Youth Director to support schedule, plan, and executions of programs of instruction including Shabbat/Yom Tov, B’Yachad, and Mifgashim (Family Programming)
- B’nai Mitzvah Instruction: Responsible for oversight of B’nai Mitzvah program of instruction
- Student Religious Services: Responsible for oversight of religious services for elementary school-aged children for Shabbat, High Holidays and Festivals
Bachelor’s degree as well as experience in Jewish education and administration, working with children, or other relevant experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]