Birthright Israel Foundation (BRIF) began with a bold idea in 1999---to offer young Jewish adults a life-changing trip to Israel to build their Jewish identity and, by doing so, transform the Jewish future. Birthright Israel was founded on the belief that attendees return home with new ideas about Israel, its people, and their place in the Jewish story. It is the birthright of all young Jews to visit their ancestral homeland and thus forge a connection to their heritage and their community that can last a lifetime. Since its founding, Birthright Israel has sent over 800,000 young adults on this transformational trip.
BRIF seeks a proven, goal-oriented, dynamic, and inspiring development professional to serve as Regional Director of the Southwest. The position will be based in Texas, with a preference for Houston or Dallas, and will primarily focus on fundraising for BRIF in the Texas market, although the Regional Director will also engage with donors in other areas of the Southwest. The position requires a candidate with superior relationship skills and demonstrated success in building organizational capacity and increasing revenue. In addition, s/he must have an authentic passion for the mission of Birthright Israel, a track record as an effective major gifts fundraiser, and be an articulate communicator of BRIF's case for support. This driven self-starter will manage and grow the Southwest Region’s annual campaign.
Candidates should have an entrepreneurial approach and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should also have the capacity to develop and execute fundraising strategies that include identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individuals, foundations, alumni, and parents of Birthright Israel alumni in the Southwest.
The Southwest Regional Director will report to and work in partnership with the Vice President of the Central Region to design a major gifts strategy aimed at increasing dollars and donors in the region. This position will commence as a work-from-home opportunity and be a part of a three-person Central Region operation that raised over $5.5 million this past year. The Regional Director is expected to grow the campaign by upgrading donors and building relationships with new donors, focusing on those donors with five- and six-figure capacity.
OPPORTUNITIES AND CHALLENGES
This position is a unique and compelling opportunity to play a leadership role in resource development for what many views as the most successful engagement program in Jewish life and Israel.
With a current national campaign raising over $100 million from 40,000 donors, BRIF's base of support has grown in recent years. However, meeting the growing needs of young Jewish adults who want to take a Birthright Israel trip will require broadening and upgrading the base of support from alumni, their parents, and supporters of Birthright Israel's mission.
This position will concentrate mainly on communities in Texas. It is an excellent opportunity to grow the campaign in an area with much potential, build and manage lay leadership, and identify new major gift donors.
- Build and manage a fundraising portfolio of 100-150 donors and prospects at the $5,000+ level with the expectation of eventually cultivating and soliciting five-to-seven-figure prospects. This includes:
- Initiating contact and meeting with existing and potential donors;
- Using moves management to track interactions and create strategies on prospects to pursue;
- Developing and implementing engagement and cultivation strategies;
- Soliciting gifts of $5,000 and over from current and prospective donors.
- Work with the VP, Central Region to identify and qualify prospects and build appropriate strategies to capture individual giving.
- Build and manage a regional leadership council in Texas.
- Increase the number of donors and dollars raised in the region year-over-year.
- Coordinate with the national development team to achieve the organization's fundraising goals.
- Plan and attend events strategically designed to cultivate new prospective donors and steward existing ones.
- Utilize the organization's database (Salesforce) to maintain accurate records of donor interactions, individuals' programmatic interests, giving trends, and donor engagement and solicitation strategies.
- Other tasks and duties that are reasonably related to these job responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of significant fundraising or related for-profit resource development experience.
- Experience and comfort working with high-level donors and philanthropists.
- Familiarity with the Houston, Dallas, and Austin Jewish philanthropic communities.
- Deep understanding of major gift fundraising principles and moves management.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong self-confidence and high energy, along with a positive and proactive approach.
- A passion for Jewish engagement and the mission of Birthright Israel.
- Self-starter with the ability to work alone and in a team.
- Keen understanding of donor needs and requirements.
- Collaborative work style and ability to influence people across, within, and outside the Birthright Israel organization.
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency working with business technology and donor database systems; Salesforce experience is a plus.
- Willingness to travel as needed to donor meetings, events, and Foundation summits.