Who We Are: For nearly 150 years, JFS of St. Louis has offered compassionate support and practical solutions to help people in greater St. Louis navigate life’s challenges. Our professional staff assist the elderly, protect children at risk, provide food and services to those in need, support families, and enhance community connections. We serve people in need, inclusive of all ages, races, religions, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations. JFS is a dynamic organization, with committed volunteers and talented staff dedicated to an inspiring mission.
The Older Adults Case Manager - Information & Referral Specialist ensures the highest level of service to callers and maintains ElderLink as a highly regarded source of information and resources for older adults and their caregivers. The Information and Referral Specialist responds to initial inquiries, conducts thorough assessments, provides needed information and connects callers to internal and community resources as requested and indicated.
- Responds to telephone, electronic and walk-in inquiries/referrals, ensuring JFS’ high standards of client service and responsiveness.
- Conducts and documents initial intake assessments to gather essential information to determine client’s presenting situation.
- Refers clients to JFS services, community resources and other community organizations as needed.
- Collaborates and communicates frequently with supervisor and JFS case managers.
- Conducts follow-up calls and surveys with clients, caregivers and service providers to ensure needs were met and documents responses for PQI and reporting purposes.
- Documents all client communications, interactions, resources provided, referrals and two-week follow-up results in client database.
- Communicates to supervisor any issues that may impact service delivery or continuity of services for clients.
- Completes comprehensive assessments which identify medical, psychological and social factors contributing to client’s situation and evaluates these together with client’s strengths as assigned.
- As assigned by supervisor, develops an individualized care plan with each client based on identified needs from the assessment and client input. Reviews the care plan regularly with client to assess progress towards identified goals. Adjusts interventions and completion dates as needed to elicit goal achievement.
- Provides outreach and training to community agencies, congregations and organizations. This may include public speaking, managing information booths at community events and distributing informational materials.
- Represents JFS at community and professional association meetings.
- Demonstrates teamwork, compassion and high-quality service delivery.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Complies with all company policies and standards.
Qualifications: To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals of varying abilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Master’s degree in social work, counseling, gerontology, psychology, or related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum of two years of related experience.
Licenses, Certifications and Professional Affiliations: N/A
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of community support services and resources for older adults.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews and psychosocial assessments.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate case records.
- Knowledge of the use of office equipment, computers and related software applications.
- Ability to counsel clients and/or families in life management and coping skills.
- Client Focus: Exhibits the values of kindness, fairness, excellence and service to others. Dedicated to meeting client needs. Builds positive and professional client relationships. Understands the need for flexibility and changes to procedures and programs to meet client’s needs.
- Communication Skills: Adapts behavior and communications to multiple learning styles. Aware of the impact of personal style on others’ perceptions and works to make the impact positive and productive. Clearly communicates changes in priorities and resources.
- Interpersonal Agility: Displays diplomatic and tactful behavior. Is collaborative and promotes professional working relationships with coworkers. Builds positive relationships with all JFS stakeholders.
- Organization: Manages time well. Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Effective in priority setting.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Work Environment: Work is typically performed in either an inside work environment or in the client’s home. There exists the potential for stressful and/or emotionally charged encounters with clients.
Physical Demands: This position requires prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
Travel: More than 50% of work time may be spent outside of the office meeting with clients. Additional travel throughout the community is required as needed. Access to private transportation is required.
Benefits: JFS offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Traditional PPO or High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) Medical Plans.
- $50 per month for employee only coverage.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Healthcare Savings Account (HSA)
- JFS contributes $100 per month to your HSA after establishing account.
- Employer paid short-term disability.
- Eligible first of the month after employment.
- Employer paid life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance.
- 2X annual salary.
- Eligible first of the month after one year of employment.
- Employer paid long-term disability.
- 60% of your monthly salary
- Eligible first of the month after one year of employment
- Voluntary Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Voluntary Accident
- Voluntary Critical Illness
- Voluntary Hospital Indemnity
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee in this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
JFS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type in regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.