Youth Engagement Coordinator
The Community Synagogue, a vibrant 750 member Reform congregation in Port Washington, NY is searching for an outgoing, dynamic, energetic individual to serve as the Youth Engagement Coordinator /CLASP Fellow. This full-time position is broken into two main components. During the 9 months of the school year, applicant is responsible for implementing social, cultural, religious and experiential educational programming for kids and teens in grades 6 – 12. During the 3 summer months, applicant will serve on the leadership team at either URJ Eisner or Crane Lake Camp.
Objective of Youth Coordinator:
- To grow our informal youth program to entice the Jewish youth and teenagers in our community to feel connected to the synagogue and to engage in activities that will enhance their Jewish life.
- To provide our youth with the opportunity to engage in meaningful, social activities with their peers in an environment that is grounded in Jewish life.
- To participate in our education programs, Religious School & Teen Education, to foster a greater sense of connection not only amongst the students themselves, but a greater connection between the students and the Youth Engagement Coordinator.
- To help develop leadership qualities in youth by encouraging active student leaders to play an integral part in the planning and implementation of events.
- Establish and build relationships with the youth and parents and between the youth. This includes outreach to teens through various avenues.
- Be available and excited to meet teens both in the building and outside of the building at times and places that work for them (i.e. meet at Starbucks after school).
Youth Engagement Program Creation & Calendar
- Create, oversee and administer all aspects of youth programming including creation of annual calendar of dynamic programs and activities in collaboration with Director of Congregational Education. Programs would include community service projects, social events, targeted group activities, trips and more.
- Seek out new avenues to engage our teens and create opportunities based on needs that arise.
Administration of Youth Engagement Programs
- Manage all administration of youth programming events including but not limited to: staffing, payments, sign ups, transportation, insurance issues, room recs and promotion.
- Supervise and facilitate all such programs.
Youth Liaison to The Community Synagogue
- Help to lead and coordinate family oriented congregational events and programs such as Purim Carnival, special Family Shabbat Services, youth elements of Mitzvah Day, etc.
- Teach & help facilitate in our Teen Tuesday Program on Tuesday evenings.
- Teach 1-2 classes in our Religious School.
- Help lead special projects and events in the Religious School.
- Be present and available during weekday afternoon and Sunday morning Religious School sessions to help and build relationships with students.
Publicity & Social Media
- Ensure all events are published and publicized to students and parents via temple calendar, Facebook, E-mail, Texting, Elite, flyers, etc.
- Maintain and update, in partnership with our Director of Communications, youth content in the Youth section of TCS website.
- Manage Youth Engagement Budget.
- Serve of leadership team of either URJ Eisner or Crane Lake Camp.
- During the school year, help with camp marketing, recruitment and engagement.
- Take part in monthly CLASP Fellow cohort and camp leadership meetings.
- Attend and staff 4 engagements weekends at camp.
Qualifications & Education
What you’ll bring:
- Passion for building meaningful relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Leadership skills and capacity to serve as a positive role model
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage collaborative programs and initiatives
- Strong planning and organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility and adaptability.
- Excitement to spend your summer at one of the URJ Northeast Summer Camps.
- Proficiency in utilizing social media and technology for engagement and collaboration.
- Bachelor’s Degree, degrees in Education or Jewish Studies a plus
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
What you'll get:
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building.
- A passionate, creative and dynamic team working together to support you.
- The opportunity to have a significant impact on the youth at The Community Synagogue and URJ Northeast Camps.
- A fun summer at camp!
- Youth Engagement Coordinator will be directly responsible to the Director of Congregational Education and the URJ Camp Director during the summer months.
- Youth Engagement Coordinator will have regular meetings with Director of Congregational Education as well as an annual self-assessment and mutual review consistent with synagogue policy.
Please send Resumes to Shari Isserles, Director of Congregational Education, [email protected]