Congregation Beth Yeshurun, a vibrant Conservative synagogue in Houston, TX that serves nearly 2,000 families, is searching for an outgoing, dynamic, energetic individual to serve as the Program Associate. This full time position is responsible for planning and implementing a variety of programming for youth (upper elementary school through high school) and for young professionals. In addition, this person would be responsible for maintaining our social media presence on Facebook and Instagram.
Objective of Program Associate:
- To grow our informal youth programming to engage congregants within our synagogue membership in meaningful activities with their peers in an environment that is grounded in Jewish life.
- To grow our informal young professionals programming to engage those in our community in meaningful activities with their peers in an environment that is grounded in Jewish life.
- To foster a greater sense of connection among the youth and among the young professionals.
- To help develop leadership qualities in youth by encouraging active student leaders to play an integral part in the planning and implementation of events.
- To increase the pathways to engagement for our teens and young professionals.
- Establish and build relationships with the synagogue youth and young professionals in the community.
- Be available and excited to meet teens both in the building and outside of the building at times and places that work for them (i.e. meet at Starbucks after school).
- Be available to participate in young professional programming in the community to meet and engage potential participants.
Program Creation & Calendar
- Create, oversee and administer all aspects of youth and young adult programming including creation of annual calendar of dynamic programs and activities in collaboration with Education Director and Program Director. Programs would include community service projects, social events, holiday programs, targeted group activities.
- Seek out new avenues to engage our teens and young professionals, and create opportunities based on needs that arise.
Administration of Programs
- Oversee administration of youth and young professionals programming events including but not limited to: staffing, logistics, registration, facilities set-up, and budget.
- Supervise and facilitate all such programs.
- Ensure all events are published and publicized to targeted populations via synagogue calendar, Facebook, Instagram, e-mail, texting, flyers, etc.
- Serve as synagogue youth liaison.
- Creation of content to be posted on social media.
- Scheduling of content to be posted on social media.
- Coordination through weekly meetings with the Program Director and the Communications and Marketing Manager.
Qualifications & Education
- Passion for building meaningful relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Leadership skills and capacity to serve as a positive role model
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage collaborative programs and initiatives
- Strong planning and organizational skills, attention to detail, flexibility and adaptability.
- Proficiency in utilizing social media and technology for engagement and collaboration.
- Familiarity with Canva and Facebook publishing tools.
- Knowledge of Jewish holidays and customs.
- Bachelor’s Degree, degrees in Education or Jewish Studies a plus
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
- The Program Associate will be directly responsible to both the Education Director and Program Director.
- Youth Coordinator will have regular meetings with the Education Director as well as an annual self-assessment and mutual review consistent with synagogue policy.
Please send resumes to Sheryl Eskowitz, Education Director, at [email protected]