Tifereth Israel Congregation (TI), is an active egalitarian Conservative synagogue in the Shepherd Park neighborhood of Washington, DC. Our vibrant community takes pride in caring for members in need while engaging in social justice issues in our neighborhood and beyond. We are located 2 blocks from beautiful Rock Creek Park, just south of downtown Silver Spring, easily accessible by bus, car and bike.
The Administrative Assistant (AA) position is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in developing non-profit management skills. The AA provides critical support to TI staff, members and lay leaders, and is the initial point of contact for members, visitors, vendors and others. The AA reports to the Executive Director and is a team player with a pleasant demeanor, sensitivity to all forms of diversity and excellent organizational and communications skills. We are looking for someone eager to learn the ropes and who wants to help the synagogue thrive, bringing their own talents and creativity to the job.
OVERVIEW OF DUTIES
This following list outlines the essential scope of the position.
- Field phone and written inquiries
- Oversee routine office systems
- Organize and maintain electronic and written records
- Support ritual, programming and development activities
- Provide administrative support to Board of Directors
- Manage entries for accounts payable
- Create online registration forms and produce reports
- Interface with building renters
- Additional duties based on the needs of the synagogue and the skills and interests of the AA
The list below includes a broad range of skills and experiences. Candidates are encouraged to apply if they can meet most requirements and are committed to acquiring new skills.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office suite, Google communication products, Zoom and CRM systems; comfort with learning new technological tools
- Ability to organize a daily workload by priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team
- Professional-level verbal and written communications skills
- Familiarity with Jewish holidays and customs, or eagerness to learn
- Willingness to work at least one evening per month and occasional additional evenings or weekend days
This is a 40 hour per week position with a basic schedule of 9 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday. To apply for this job, send a cover letter, resume and contact information for two supervisor references to [email protected], with ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT in the subject line.
Tifereth Israel Congregation strives to build a diverse team that includes a variety of identities, backgrounds, ages, perspectives and skills. Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people and people who come from poor or working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer.