Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School seeks an enthusiastic, articulate, and collaborative professional with strong interpersonal skills to serve as its Director of Enrollment Management.
The successful candidate will provide strategic leadership in managing all of the school’s recruitment, on-boarding, retention processes, working in partnership with the academic leadership team as well as the Director of Advancement and the Director of Marketing and Communications. The Director of Enrollment Management will report directly to the Head of School and will supervise an Admissions and Outreach Associate. This is a 12-month, exempt, salaried position, with competitive compensation and full benefits. The preferred start date is summer of 2022.
Established in 1990 as Mid-Peninsula Jewish Day School Jewish Community Day School, Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School provides a notably warm, joyful, engaging, and values-based context for the learning and growth of over 300 students in grades TK to 8. The school is situated on a beautiful campus in Palo Alto, California, with spacious grounds for play and three modern school buildings. The school’s educational philosophy emphasizes deep questioning, active exploration, and a strong commitment to moral courage informed by our complementary curriculum of general and Jewish studies.
- Direct all efforts of the school’s Admission Office in a manner that reflects and communicates a deep understanding of the school’s mission and its distinctive value proposition.
- Manage the re-enrollment process for current families including calendaring, reviewing forms, supervising mailings, and counseling families when necessary.
- Research, track, analyze, and forecast data in order to advise the Head of School and lay leadership and to collaborate with them on the development and maintenance of a proactive multi-year enrollment plan with measurable goals to increase the number of students at the school over the next 3-5 years.
- Lead the school’s recruitment of new students strategically, fielding inquiries, planning Open Houses and other recruitment events, and coordinating and providing private tours.
- Review and refine, in collaboration with the school’s CFO and a small committee, the tuition assistance policies and procedures.
- Coordinate the tuition assistance application and allocation process in support of the school’s commitment to making Hausner an affordable option for as many mission-committed families as possible
- Proactively manage a team of volunteers who serve as ambassadors for the school, providing ongoing training and support
- Manage the application process through its cycle, from inquiry to submission of materials and onto decisions, ensuring a clear, ethical, and thoughtful process throughout this cycle, with positive, personalized experiences for all, tailored to the needs of each family.
- Oversee a warm and welcoming on-boarding process for all new families and collaborate with administrative colleagues on community-building activities.
- Direct the re-enrollment process with a sustained focus on promoting retention, including through regular monitoring of possible attrition and coordination of proactive communication from the school to wavering families.
- Cultivate and sustain positive external relationships that serve Hausner’s recruitment and retention efforts, including ties with feeder schools, day care centers, current and alumni families, local Jewish organizations, regional and national associations, and any other institutions that could be helpful in attracting and retaining mission-appropriate students.
- Remain current on trends in education, Jewish community life, and approaches to independent school admissions.
- Prepare analytical reports related to all functions of the Admission Office and present summaries of these to the Board of Directors at the request of the Head of School and Board President.
- Collaborate with the Director of Advancement and Director of Marketing and Communications to design and maintain a mission-driven, multimedia communications plan that serves the needs of all three offices and conveys in a consistent fashion the school’s strategic vision, its uniqueness, and its impact.
- Supervise the Admissions and Outreach Associate
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with advanced degree preferred
- Minimum five years of experience working in a relevant professional context
- Deep connection to the mission of the school, with clear appreciation for its impact and compelling ability to express its value proposition to others
- prior experience with or readiness to learn management of all functions of the Admission office as outlined above.
- Experience working with volunteers
- Familiarity with independent school education and/or Jewish day school education preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Results-driven capacity to measure success in tangible ways and to adjust approaches as evolving circumstances require
- Experience with supervising and mentoring direct reports preferred
- experience in using databases and spreadsheets
- Active engagement in professional learning, including currency with best practices
- Receptivity to feedback and strong collaboration skills.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Generally work in standard office or school / classroom conditions and climate
- Noise level is usually low to moderate and occasionally high
- May work in varied inclement outside weather conditions during special activities
- Required to work some nights and weekends to execute a variety of events.
- Regular requirements to talk and hear, stand, walk, sit, and use a keyboard and video display terminal
- Possible requirements to stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Occasional requirements to lift up to 30 pounds
- The work environment can be stressful at times, involving a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and encounters with a diverse array of contacts
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
- This job announcement does not necessarily present an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical requirements, or work conditions.
- The school reserves the right to supplement, modify, or delete any aspects of this job, including the position itself, at any time, as it deems advisable.
Interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected], including the job title in the subject line.