Have you ever dreamed of spending your summers on a private lake . . . spending two months out of the year on a breath-taking property with magical scenery and countless amenities . . . zip lining to your office, creating lanyards during your meetings, and spending countless hours playing gaga and splashing on the aqua park? If you’re a little cra-cra, love coming to work in shorts and a camp t-shirt, and never want to grow up, come join our unbelievable team at Camp Solomon Schechter! Live our mission each day as you get to impact our campers’ Jewish futures. . . . Oh yeah, you can’t be afraid of a little face paint, getting sloppy, or even getting goofy in front of 300 campers and staff. It’s totally a job requirement! Additional perks include 24/7 coffee service, and your second car will be a golf cart, not to mention you gain access to unlimited fruit loops, grilled cheese, and otter pops. This is bigger than any job you’ve had. You actually have the opportunity to make history.
Camp Solomon Schechter is seeking an energetic and self-motivated partner and camp professional for the Summer Camp Director position, who demonstrates a love of Jewish summer camp and all it has to offer. This position will report to the Executive Director and will ensure the mission and vision of the summer camp program, as defined by the Board of Directors, is successfully achieved through the development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of assigned core responsibilities. We are looking for someone who will help lift the profile of our entire organization, especially Jewish summer camp and year-round engagement.
CSS has a 70-year tradition of fun, friendship, and Jewish education in the Pacific Northwest. We value each child as an individual and strive to support their social and spiritual growth. Our campers have the opportunity to be independent in a safe and nurturing environment. We encourage every camper to try something new, make new friends, make good choices, and grow as leaders and as individuals. CSS is a fully immersive, welcoming, and spiritual Jewish environment.
- Year-round leadership, administration, and oversight of the summer camp program operations;
- Camper retention and recruitment;
- Summer camp staff recruitment, training, and supervision;
- Program development;
- Summer camp budget development and monitoring in conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Operations; and
- Summer camp marketing and public relations management in conjunction with the Executive Director and Director of Development.
Qualities Sought in the Summer Camp Director:
Jewish summer camp is a unique and exciting experience. The Summer Camp Director will be able to:
- Provide ongoing charismatic and dynamic support and leadership to colleagues, camp staff, and lay leadership, serving as a Jewish role model for all;
- Participate in summer sessions to establish strong relationships with campers and staff (This includes living at camp for the duration of the summer.);
- Work under pressure, take direction from the Executive Director, and work unaided on time-sensitive projects;
- Support and maintain a high level of customer service to camp families, while ensuring adherence to camp values and goals and ACA Accreditation; and
- Identify and provide solutions to complex issues and concerns in a professional manner, including conflict management with parents and/or campers, offering creative and flexible approaches to problem-solving.
Responsibilities of the Summer Camp Director
The Summer Camp Director oversees all aspects of summer camp operations:
- Develop, monitor, and, as warranted, modify short- and long-term strategic goals for the growth and development of summer camp, working and communicating with the CSS Board of Directors, staff, and the larger community to ensure continuity of programming to best achieve the organizational mission.
- Ensure program development and implementation facilitates camp's presence at the forefront of the community through feedback from camp families and staff.
- Plan, coordinate, oversee, implement, and evaluate all aspects of summer camp service. This includes, but is not limited to, recruitment of campers and staff, program development (including educational components), sales and marketing, staff training (pre-camp and in-camp), and coordination with site managers, food service personnel, and maintenance.
- Hire, mentor/supervise, and, as necessary, terminate summer camp staff in a manner consistent with camp values. Supervision will include ongoing feedback and incorporate formal evaluations.
- Develop and monitor the summer camp marketing and recruitment plan to meet camper enrollment and retention goals, in conjunction with updates from and to the Executive Director and the CSS Board of Directors.
- Oversee all special needs of campers and summer staff, including transportation, medical, psycho-social, and spiritual.
- Ensure procurement of all required supplies for all aspects of summer camp.
- Interface with relevant agencies for required certifications or accreditations.
- Manage volunteer activities during summer sessions.
Qualifications of the Summer Camp Director
- Minimum B.A. from an accredited college or university, with M.A. or above preferred;
- Minimum 7 years of experience in directing youth programs and/or camps in a day or overnight setting;
- Knowledge of program development and educational methodologies, with a specific understanding of camp programming;
- Knowledge and commitment to Jewish traditions and customs;
- Knowledge and commitment to “best practices” in the camping field;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Experience in financial management and budgeting; and
- Have passport and be willing to travel between the Pacific Northwest communities within Canada and the United States, along with occasional travel to Israel.
This position is full-time ($80,000 - $120,000; DOE) with benefits (vision, dental, health, 401k, sick, holiday, personal, and vacation). Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted.
We know many candidates, especially women and people of color, do not apply to jobs unless they meet all required qualifications. If you meet most qualifications and believe you would bring the skills and approach we are looking for, we encourage you to apply.
Camp Solomon Schechter is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, age, political ideology, national or ethnic origin, disability, actual or perceived medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.