ABOUT the SYNAGOGUE and the POSITION
Society Hill Synagogue, an independent congregation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is seeking a Communications Manager. Society Hill Synagogue emphasizes lifelong learning, social action, soulful music and prayer, and sacred community. We pride ourselves on being warm, welcoming, and intergenerational, and we embrace our diverse membership, including interfaith couples and families, LGBTQ+ individuals and families, people of color, and people of all abilities.
The Communications Manager will oversee communications originating from the synagogue and its schools, including publications, website management, social media management, marketing, advertising, and public relations. We’re looking for someone with a background in internal and external communications who is eager to lead marketing and social media work. We want a strategic and creative thinker who is proficient at implementing their ideas to help raise awareness of our synagogue and to maintain our growth.
All applicants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES
- Manage a communications plan in collaboration with synagogue administrative staff, clergy, and volunteer leaders.
- Develop and produce content to engage and educate audiences across Society Hill Synagogue’s various channels, including a quarterly newsletter, weekly emails, text blasts, graphics, website, and social media.
- Develop and manage social media activities across multiple channels, including a Facebook page and groups and Instagram, ensuring that the content, tone, and frequency support Society Hill Synagogue’s mission.
- Responsible for the upkeep of the synagogue’s website, including making sure that all event listings are current and accurate.
- Manage video and photo inventory and uploads to social media channels, website, and emails, and manage video and photo production for special events and programs.
- Serve as the synagogue’s press contact, including proactively pitching stories to local and regional news sources.
- Update and maintain the synagogue calendar.
- Manage all contact lists in Constant Contact.
- Support the congregation in effectively utilizing Zoom and other online platforms.
- Reports to the Executive Director, with additional oversight from the Rabbi, including a weekly editorial meeting with both.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- B.A. or B.S. or equivalent experience in marketing, communications, or related field.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a professional environment, for-profit or nonprofit.
- Familiarity with Jewish values, holidays, and customs is preferred but not required.
- Understanding of nonprofit, educational, and/or religious organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, organizational skills, creativity, imagination, and the ability to make Society Hill Synagogue shine in words and design.
- Comfort working in a pluralistic synagogue community.
- Experience with the following software packages or their equivalents: Google Workspace, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, MS Office, Mac and PC operating systems, WordPress, email marketing (Constant Contact), and social media (Facebook, Instagram).
- Excellent communication abilities, strong writing skills, and a command of grammar rules and social media communication styles.
- Working knowledge of photo and video-editing software is preferred.
- An eye for graphic design and consistency in branding and presentation.
- Ability to handle confidential information professionally.
- Ability to work well with staff, Board and committee members, congregants, and other synagogue constituents across ages and backgrounds.
- Exceptional customer service and phone skills.
- Capacity to provide both vision and attention to detail.
- A reliable individual who can work independently but also as part of a team.
- Full time, initially onsite, with the option to evolve into a blend of onsite and remote work.
- Occasional evenings and weekends as needed for special events and programs.
SALARY and BENEFITS
- $50,000 - $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits package includes health insurance, paid vacation, paid Jewish and federal holidays, paid sick leave, paid parental leave, professional development, complimentary synagogue membership.
Visit www.societyhillsynagogue.org to learn more about our congregation. To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Sahar Oz, Executive Director, at [email protected].