Located in the Oakridge area of Vancouver, B.C., Louis Brier Home and Hospital is an “Exemplary Status” accredited long-term care facility situated next to the Weinberg Residence (Assisted Living Suites and Multi-Level Care, both Private Pay).
Our Mission is to provide exemplary resident and family-centered care for seniors through innovation, education, research, partnerships and collaboration through the contributions of staff, volunteers, funding partners and donors with a focus on quality and safety, all guided by Jewish heritage.
Our Vision is to be a center of excellence for elders providing innovative and outstanding care consistent with Jewish values and traditions.
We live by our Values - CHAI (Hebrew word for LIFE): Caring, Health, Safety and Wellness, Accountability, and Integrity. Resident and employee safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at LBHH/WR, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Resident Services & Inter-Professional Practice, and working in collaboration with Manager, Weinberg Residence, the Manager, Food Services is accountable for the hiring, development, and supervision of all food service personnel and the day-to-day operations of food production, preparation and distribution. The Manager participates in budgetary planning, and leads program and service delivery planning, implementation and evaluation to meet annual objectives. The Manager maintains and provides statistical, financial and quality improvement reports as required and shares responsibility for overall operation of the department and provides support and supervision to the Chef, Weinberg Residence. Responsibilities include: Overseeing the day to day activity of food services staff; establishing and overseeing standardized production schedules, recipes, inventory levels and reheat methods; monitoring and evaluating the achievement of service objectives; contributing to the development of service area standards, policies and procedures; developing direct charge and contract order sheets; interpreting and communicating regulations and standards to staff. In collaboration with the Director, HR, is responsible for recruitment, performance management, attendance management, and discipline; representing the Employer on joint union/management meetings; administering the collective agreement; participating in the development of Food Services mission, philosophy, policies, objectives and standards and Continuous Quality Improvement; providing input into the menu planning, auditing and recipe development process; participating in development of essential services plans; monitoring equipment for preventative maintenance, repairs and replacement; providing input regarding capital and operating budget requirements, as well as soliciting, negotiating and recommending product and equipment bids and contracts; contributing to the resolution of issues related to food safety, client satisfaction, food waste and menu audits; and co-managing food and catering services.
1. Oversees all food services staff, chef at Louis Brier and Weinberg Residence by providing leadership, training and direction, mentorship, coordinating work assignments, approving vacations, ensuring continual staff development by determining related training and orientation requirements and maintaining all related documentation. Manages Red Seal Apprentice training, development and internal advancement opportunities. By example, leads a positive workplace culture of respect and inclusivity
2. Establishes and oversees standardized production schedules, menus, recipe maintenance and development, procurement, inventory levels and reheat methods. Evaluates audit results related to foods being prepared, served and distributed to ensure established standards of quality, quantity and safety, including accurate textures, are maintained. Ensures food safety systems compliance. Works with BC Kosher and mashgiach, according to kosher laws. Coordinates menus between LBHH and WR for ease of execution, product freshness, resident satisfaction and minimization of waste.
3. Monitors and evaluates the achievement of service objectives at LBHH/WR. Represents and communicates for Food Service Department to stakeholders/residents/senior management. Promotes positive interdepartmental relationships through effective communication consulting and negotiating with user departments.
4. Contributes to the development, implementation and review of service area systems, standards, policies and procedures to ensure they comply with legal and professional standards. Leads the overall strategic plan for departmental operations. Analyzes current situations and future requirements and sets priorities for planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating strategies. Works within the context of the organization’s long-range strategic plans.
5. Uses procurement processes and vendor relationships to solicit new bids for products and equipment to maximize potential rebates and added value. Negotiates new contracts as needed for the betterment of LBHH/WR. Participates in establishment of product and service specifications for tendering of new contracts within the portfolio. Adjusts menus, production and work flows to accommodate preferred products.
6. Develops, revises and prepares direct charge and contract order sheets for the acquisition of supplies; implements organization’s food service standards regarding products, receiving, storage and rotation of food. Meets with vendor representatives to discuss quality and delivery issues and/or concerns and to review new products.
7. Interprets and communicates regulations and standards to staff to ensure adherence to practices and procedures compliant with Work Safe BC regulations and standards. Participates in return to work initiatives, fire prevention and disaster plans as required.
8. Responsible for recruitment, performance management, attendance management, and discipline measures as required for all Food Services positions for LBHH/WR.
9. Represents the Employer on joint union/management meetings for the purpose of information sharing and problem solving. Participates on employer committees as required.
10. Administers the collective agreement and provides interpretation to departmental staff regarding issues related to leave requests, relief scheduling, hours of work, and timekeeping.
11. Consults with Human Resources for the purpose of responding to grievances, employee time and attendance management, and other performance and labour relations issues.
12. Participates in the development of Food Services mission, philosophy, policies, objectives and standards and Continuous Quality Improvement by reviewing audit results.
13. Facilitates stakeholder feedback and incorporates input into the menu planning, recipe development, and food services delivery processes to meet the satisfaction and diet needs of residents, family and other stakeholders (ie. via Committee Meetings, Resident Council, Family Council, Town Hall`s, etc.).
14. Manages food services and catering services ensuring adherence to production and service capabilities, cost constraint, presentation and nutritional requirement as established with Nutritional Standard Guidelines.
15. Monitors equipment for preventative maintenance, repairs and replacement; troubleshoots and completes routine work orders for repair service. Recommends purchase/replacement of equipment.
16. In consultation with the Executive Director, Resident Services & Inter-Professional Practice and Director, Finance, develops capital and operating budget requirements. Reports on budget variances, advising and updating senior leadership of issues and concerns.
17. Works with Dieticians on issues related to food safety, textures, client satisfaction, food waste and menu audits. Leads both Food Service Committees and incorporates feedback into operational planning. Interprets results and leads the implementation of corrective action, communicates same to staff and monitors for quality and consistency.
18. Participates in development of essential services plans in preparation of job action with significant involvement in essential service levels, menu and staff planning, logistics, training and execution.
19. Performs other duties as required.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Service Administration or completion of an approved post-secondary course as a Food Service Supervisor/Manager and five (5) years’ recent related experience in service management in health facilities including operational experience with quality assurance programs and food service policy and procedures within a healthcare setting. Completion of relevant health care administration courses and graduation from a recognized culinary training course is an asset.
Job Type: Full-time
Please submit your resume to: [email protected]