The Rabbi’s Assistant and Advancement Administrator’s primary responsibilities are to provide administrative support to the Associate Rabbi and the Director of Congregational Advancement. This person is integral to providing a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our congregational community. The individual is expected to work with the administrative team to support the overall operations as needed.
The Rabbi’s Assistant and Advancement Administrator requires a detail-oriented individual who excels at multitasking and problem solving and can anticipate the needs of those they support. The person must be able to prioritize and take initiative. Strong organizational and computer skills are a must. The position requires extreme sensitivity to personal situations and adherence to confidentiality. Given the nature of synagogue work, a great deal of flexibility and ability to pivot based on changing circumstances is essential.
Duties of the position include:
Executive Assistant to the Associate Rabbi
- Warmly receive incoming calls for the Associate Rabbi and be a positive voice for the congregation. Handle follow up calls as needed
- Calendaring – schedule appointments and work with Associate Rabbi to keep the calendar organized (Microsoft Outlook)
- Preparation of letters, memos, reports, and other types of correspondence
- Copy editing the Associate Rabbi’s writing for publication
- Helping Associate Rabbi to keep 30/60/90-day priorities
- In close consultation with the clergy, send invitations for High Holy Day honors and manage RSVPs
- Assist the associate rabbi in preparing care-packages for our young alumni/college students
- Support the associate rabbi in his work with various congregational groups, including the Emanu El Young Professionals, the Sacred Belonging Task Force, and the Community Organizing Core Team
- Coordinate Life Cycle communications:
- Manage internal and external communications about congregant life cycle events. This includes sending internal staff memos to announce births, engagements, weddings, conversions, deaths, etc. and entering these events into our pastoral-tracking software (PastoralReach) and membership database (ShulCloud)
- Sending correspondence of congratulations or condolence on behalf of the clergy
- Work with the Cemetery Coordinator to send bereavement notifications to the congregation through ShulCloud, when requested by the family
- Assist coworkers and congregants as needed. Cross trained on the front desk operations.
- Run and manipulate membership and donation reports at the request of the Director of Congregational Advancement or Executive Director
- Synthesize data and prepare for presentations to committees and the board
- Maintain membership database (ShulCloud) by utilizing CRM, Tags, etc.
- Assist Members with online access to the membership database when requested
- Organize, print, and send thank-you and tribute letters for donations
- Assist with donation and membership related phone calls (if Director of Congregational Advancement is not available)
- Assist with development and membership events when needed
- Coordinate Bulletin Advertising
- Help Identify and Send Packets to Advertisers
- Make follow-up communications (phone/email) with potential advertisers
- Keep track of advertisers and contracts and schedule renewals.
- On a monthly basis provide Communications Coordinator with list of ads to run in the bulletin
Other Duties as assigned.
Skill and Educational Requirements:
- Detail oriented and able to maintain multiple long-term projects and tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to carefully edit their own and other people’s writing
- Strong customer service skills and welcoming presence
- Organized record-keeping and skills
- Computer Skills: Outlook, Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, mail merge) and Google Docs and Sheets, Database Skills, Slack, Online forms
- High School/GED and at least 2 years of college required, bachelor’s degree preferred
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.