Position: HR Generalist
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Classification: Full-time, Exempt, Telecommute Eligible
Reports To: Global Director of Human Resources
About Hebrew Union College: Founded in 1875, Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion is North America's leading institution of higher Jewish education and the academic, spiritual, and professional leadership development center of Reform Judaism.
HUC-JIR educates leaders for service to American and world Jewry as rabbis, cantors, experts in Jewish education, and Jewish nonprofit management professionals, and offers graduate degree programs to scholars and clergy of all faiths. With centers of learning in Cincinnati, Jerusalem, Los Angeles, and New York, HUC-JIR's scholarly resources comprise renowned library, archive, and museum collections, biblical archaeology excavations, and academic publications. HUC-JIR invites the community to an array of cultural and educational programs that illuminate Jewish identity, history, and contemporary creativity, and foster interfaith and multiethnic understanding.
HUC Employee Benefits: Hebrew Union College recognizes employees as one of the most valuable assets to the success of the college. That is why we make it our highest priority to offer a competitive benefits package. Some of those benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life Insurance, Long Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Plan -403b
- Paid National and Jewish Holidays
- Paid Vacation and Sick Day
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid Tuition Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ability to work from home and office
Job Overview: The Human Resource Generalist will run the daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department including hiring and interviewing staff, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices.
CORE VALUES: The HR Generalist is expected to model Hebrew Union College’s Core Values:
· Honesty and Integrity
· Kindness and Decency
· Openness and Transparency
· Responsible Empowerment
· Trust and Security
· Diversity and Inclusion
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates hiring qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Document and maintain policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least two years of human resource experience is required.
- SHRM-CP is a plus.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.