Chef / Catering Manager
Do you have a passion for food? Are you a top-notch food service leader and operator that loves to create great catering events? Beth El Synagogue is seeking a Chef / Catering Manager that will create an environment to enhance the experience for our members using our facility for their events.
The Chef / Catering Manager is responsible for the overall management of Beth El’s kosher catering kitchen. This includes but not limited to; helping Congregants plan their events, supervision and training of kitchen staff and overseeing outside vendors and volunteers.
This full-time position will report to the Executive Director with the Rabbi of the congregation providing oversight in matters concerning Kashrut.
No experience with managing a Kosher kitchen? No worries, we are eager to train the right candidate.
The Chef/Catering Manager needs to be a strong leader and responsible for the overall management of Beth El’s catering kitchen.
The chief responsibility of the Catering Manager is to perform the following duties in relationship to the management of the kosher kitchen at Beth El:
- Plan and execute menus in coordination with professional staff, clergy and congregant volunteers including vegetarian and gluten-free options
- Coordinate kitchen-based personnel including; outside caterers, food-preparation volunteers or professional’s as the situation might require.
- Arrange for the supervision of all food preparation, including outside caterers, and volunteers.
- Manage kitchen usage, including:
- The scheduling of synagogue events that require serving food;
- The scheduling of synagogue-based events that involve outside caterers
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule, as this person may work days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Ability to adapt to last minute additions and changes (eg; meal of consolation)
- Knowledge of holiday specific foods (ie, Passover, dairy for Shavuot, challah for Shabbat, Hamantaschen for Purim)
- Order, shop for and track kitchen inventory including food, paper goods and related items such as table cloths, centerpieces, dishes and serving pieces.
- Ensure kitchen cleanliness and ongoing maintenance.
- Manage kitchen expenses and continually searching for better, more financially viable options
- Have a thorough knowledge of food cost, labor cost and inventory functions
- Maintain a clean work space at all times
- Ability to read and execute recipes
- Chemical safety comprehension
- Continually look for new systems to improve all facets of food service.
Qualifications / Skills
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Team player
- Able to work in high stress work environments
- Scheduling entire kitchen staff effectively and efficiently
- Food Ordering and Inventory up keep
- Basic guest service skills and speaking skills
- Problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to adapt to new systems
- Knowledge of kashrut a plus, but will train the right candidate.
- Be familiar with standard computer operating systems
Culinary School education is preferred.
Must be able to work in high temperature work environments. This position will require standing, bending, lifting, kneeling and walking for much of the workday. Must have the ability to lift 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds. Must be able to handle the demands of a fast paced and sometimes demanding work atmosphere.
- Must have an extensive knowledge in cooking hot and cold foods. Must be able to multitask
- Maintains a positive and safe work environment.
- Must be Serve Safe Certified or willing to complete the Serve Safe course paid for by Beth El Synagogue