At Mercaz Aliyah we strive to make Jewish education a joyful experience that provides meaningful academic experiences while building community and fostering a love of Jewish living and learning. Our positive, inclusive, and creative environment encourages students to explore a wide variety of Jewish topics within the framework of Conservative Judaism. At Mercaz Aliyah we believe that we all share the responsibility for transmitting Jewish traditions and values to our children so that they become active participants in all aspects of Jewish life. We strive to create a next generation of life-long learners who are eager to remain connected to their synagogue, their community, Israel and Jews throughout the world.
For the school year 2022-2023, Mercaz Aliyah is seeking educators for our grade 2 students. In this grade, students focus on Jewish holidays, the stories in Genesis, and learning to decode Hebrew letters. Teachers are responsible for creating their own lesson plans on these topics, with guidance and collaboration from the Director of Congregational Learning.
- Basic knowledge of Hebrew letters, ability to read Hebrew, and some basic Hebrew vocabulary
- Familiarity with Genesis, Jewish Bible stories, Jewish holiday practices and traditions
- Experience teaching at the elementary level and facilitating classroom and behavior management
- Ability to integrate multiple mediums of experiential learning such as art projects, discussions, stories, music, and games
- Ability to lead a basic Tefillah service
- BA required
Hours and Compensation:
- Sundays 9:30 AM - 11:45 AM, Mondays 3:45-5:45 PM
- Hourly rate commensurate with experience paid in biweekly increments as a stipend for the year ($50-$70/hour)
Interested candidates should contact Director of Congregational Learning and Engagement, Kayla Reisman, [email protected]