The Jewish Youth Climate Movement (JYCM), founded by the largest faith-based environmental organization Hazon in 2019, is a Gen Z-led movement dedicated to combating climate change and environmental injustice from a Jewish lens. Our goal is to make taking collective action towards climate justice a central, defining feature of what it means to be Jewish over the next decade, empowering the next generation of Jewish youth to be leaders in our fight to build a sustainable and equitable world for all.
Hazon is seeking a part-time volunteer position with Hazon’s National Programs/JYCM team for 12-15 hours per week from Monday, January 10 - Friday, May 27, 2022. This volunteer opportunity is remote.
The JYCM Communications Intern will support the entire movement in its communications strategy, management of administrative and digital systems, and data integration, to further the mission and work of the movement. The Intern will help build a sustainable and organized movement with strong communication practices, working closely with the rest of the JYCM team and stakeholders to do this.
During your time at Hazon, you will be supervised by Abby Bresler, JYCM Coordinator, and your activities will include:
Maintain and Grow JYCM Visual Strategy, Social Media, and Online Presence:
- Work with the Communications Working Group (Comms) to create a strong JYCM brand and visual strategy.
- Support in finishing visual strategy.
- Support creation of JYCM style guide for movement use.
- Build out our social media best practices, including accessibility.
- Keep the Comms team accountable for posting on social media and gaining followers and attention every week (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, newsletter).
- Support the newsletter team in content development, editing and drafting the monthly newsletter in Salsa.
- Support the creation of JYCM videos.
- Support the Comms team to center equity and inclusion in all communications work.
- Support the Comms team in website building and upkeep, including:
- Creating an “in the news” section.
- Creating a “join us” page with stories and testimonials, videos, link to the application form, info about becoming a Kvutzah/Chapter.
- Improving our blog.
- Uploading past newsletters.
- Highlighting people’s climate stories and art.
- Developing a tab highlighting the programs and trainings we offer.
- Adding a JYCM merch tab.
- Formatting (if necessary) and uploading new JYCM toolkits to the portal.
- Updating and redesigning the Kvutzah portal.
- Making sure we have as accessible a website as possible.
- Update all documents, templates, and digital platforms to align with our new visual strategy and movement DNA, including things such as changing language from DEI to equity and inclusion.
- Support in creation of an art action guide.
- Center equity and inclusion in all visual strategy and online presence work.
- Maintain clear tracking of program participation and impact through effective data systems and intentional digital recruitment designed to increase and improve JYCM’s engagement.
- Look into improving JYCM’s systems through: peer-to-peer texting, joining the Movement Cooperative, using a CRM (customer relationship manager), Airtable, search engine optimization and more.
- Research cybersecurity best practices and support implementation.
- Generally support, upkeep, and improve JYCM data and systems.
- Center equity and inclusion in all administrative work.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the criteria. Hazon encourages you to break that statistic and apply. Hazon is strongly committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. We especially encourage people of color, women and nonbinary folks, LGBTQ+ people, disabled people, working class and low-income people, and those with other marginalized identities to apply.
How to Apply
- Please submit your resume with cover letter, names and contact information of two references to: [email protected] with the name of the Internship as the subject.
- You must be able to commit to 12-15 hours of work per week.
- These internships are unpaid. If you are a student, academic credit is available.
- Interns must have their own computer, phone, and work space.
- We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until the Internship opportunities are filled. We thank you for your interest in interning with Hazon. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.