Engagement & Communications Assistant
Background: The Temple is Atlanta’s oldest and most centrally located synagogue, which recently celebrated its 155th anniversary and unveiled a new state-of-the-art video production system. It is among the largest Reform Jewish congregations in North America, with 1600+ households. The Temple has always been a leader in the Reform Jewish movement and is seeking a professional for the Engagement team.
Position Summary: The Engagement & Communications Assistant is an integral member of the Engagement and Administrative teams and will support engagement in synagogue life, programming, worship, small groups, Age and Stage activities, events and more. The Assistant is a full-time, hands-on position at The Temple and will report directly to the Engagement Director. The position requires multi-tasking in a warm, progressive, fast paced, supportive environment. A high level of technical competency is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Execute regular office administrative functions
- Maintain bulk postage account, postage machine and copier
- Sort and distribute office mail
- Inventory supplies
- Manage coffee shop area and inventory (refills, ordering)
- Assist with congregational mailings
- Manage telephone in rotation with other members of the Administrative team
- Answer inquiries, direct callers, event registration, etc.
Coordinate Caring at The Temple - soup making, challah and baby hats delivery program for those who are bereaved, ill or welcoming a child
- Coordinate volunteers (soup making, packing, card making, drivers)
- Support chairs
- Order challah
- Maintain supplies
- Prepare bags
Schedule tours with new and prospective members and external groups and coordinate docents
- Add tours to calendar
- Prepare tour spaces
- Maintain brochures and tour training materials
- Coordinate and send reminders to docents
Support congregational events, outdoor and tot Shabbats, holidays, High Holidays, membership events, Age & Stage outings, small group gatherings, etc.
- Create registration pages
- Send email invitations and reminders
- Facilitate and track RSVPs and attendance metrics
- Prepare name tags and tent cards
- Create setup memos and order food
- Label meals
- Help sign in and welcome attendees on some evenings and weekends
- Assist attendees at help and information desk
- Support prospective and new membership
- Respond to membership inquiries and connect with Engagement team member
- Update template aspects of weekly email
- Draft and send congregational condolence notices
- Draft social media posts according to editorial calendar
- Adapt in-house graphics for different communications channels
- Update digital signage daily
- Update website (web sliders for current events, lay leaders, etc.)
- Database management, including running reports
- Create mailing lists
- Assemble targeted lists from past events, specific demographics, interests
Support Temple Connect small groups
- Prepare recruitment materials
- Keep website contacts and descriptions updated
Partner with the Engagement team in daily operations, projects and initiatives
- High proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to learn and become proficient in the ShulCloud database management system.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Ability to act in a proactive and anticipatory manner.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and proof reading.
- Proven track record of working well with others on a team.
- Salary range, commensurate with experience: $40K to $50K
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life and AD&D and LTD insurance
- Pension plan
- Paid time off (PTO)
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to:
The Temple c/o Kelli Harran, 1589 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA 30309
Or email: [email protected]