Congregation Beth Shalom is an inclusive Conservative synagogue in Oak Park, Michigan providing religious services, life cycle events, learning opportunities, and social programs.
The Office Manager is a part-time position reporting to the Executive Director.
The interested candidate will be an energetic team player, familiar with the Jewish faith, including life-cycle events and holidays, comfortable with office equipment and technology (e-mail, MSWord, Excel, and web-based database entry), have strong interpersonal skills to interact positively with others, and be organized and attentive to detail to ensure tasks are completed thoroughly and accurately. Duties include processing donations, database entry, website updates, support with e-blast preparation and scheduling, and management of the synagogue calendar.
General Weekly Schedule (13.5 work hours per week)
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays: 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
For more information, contact Shira Shapiro at [email protected].
- Office Reception: Welcome guests, and answering telephone calls and e-mails.
- Tribute Processing: Review and enter incoming donations, prepare and mail tribute cards, and ensure complete and accurate recording of tributes in the bulletin.
- Management of Office Equipment and Supply Inventory: Ensure copier, postage machine, and lobby monitor are operational, and coordinate servicing and repairs. Maintain inventory of office supplies and other items as needed.
- Messaging on Marquee: Ensure ongoing marquee messaging, manage donations related to the marquee messaging, and coordinate service and repair of the unit.
- Correspondence: Prepare and coordinate the signing and mailing of letters related to special birthdays, anniversaries, losses, milestones, yahrzeit reminders.
- Congregational Mailings: Coordinate first class and bulk mailings of member account statements, meetings, bulletins, and other correspondence.
- Calendar: Maintain accuracy of calendar of life cycle events, religious services, and programs listed on the synagogue website, annual printed calendar, and other marketing materials.
- Membership Database (ShulCloud): Ensure accuracy of membership information, such as contact information, birthdays, anniversaries, and yahrzeits.
- Event Reservations: Track reservations for programs and other events. Coordinate the recording of reservations and income with the bookkeeper to ensure information is recorded accurately.
- B’nai Mitzvah Coordination: Maintain list of B’nai Mitzvah dates, and coordinate gift bags (and contents: book, JNF tree, kiddush cup, etc.), coordinate photos and articles for the bulletins, bimah adornments, candy, kippot, and other related activities/items.
- Volunteers: Coordinate volunteers for office support and yahrzeit reminder calls.
- Marketing: Support the preparation and scheduling of e-blasts for Shabbat messages, services and classes, programs, and “mazal tov” and death notices, meetings, and other announcements. Assist with the preparation of flyers, posters, forms, Shabbat and Holiday announcements, annual calendar, Book of Remembrance, and other materials. Ensure lobby monitor is updated regularly with upcoming events and news. Provide assistance in the preparation of the bulletin, and ensure accuracy of information such as member milestones, schedule of learning opportunities, program information, and donations. Coordinate with vendors for outside printing jobs.
- Mishaberach and Yahrzeit Lists: Maintain the mishaberach list and communicate updates to the Rabbi and Cantor. Prepare weekly Yahrzeit list for the Rabbi and Cantor.
- Plaques: Coordinate the fulfillment of requests for memorial and other plaques with donors, staff, and vendors.
- Assist Executive Director, Rabbi, Cantor, and President, with filing, calls, and other tasks as requested.
- PC (technical) Skills:
- Proficient in MSWord, preparation of letters, and mail merge.
- Comfortable with preparing basic Excel worksheets.
- Comfortable with Outlook e-mail.
- Knowledge of web-based integrated management system for maintaining membership information and marketing of synagogue information. Ability to update the website in a timely manner, utilizing available knowledge experts to develop and enhance functionality, features, and presence.
- Professional (non-technical) Skills:
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate meetings, and communicate and interact effectively with staff, Board, members and committees, non-members, outside vendors, and others.
- Energetic, resourceful, and willingness to work as a team player.
- Ability to coordinate with others to ensure accuracy of information tracked and communicated.
- Willingness to prepare and send death notices and other emergency e-notices during non-business hours (except for Shabbat and Jewish Holidays).
- Positive work environment.
- Days off (unpaid) when the office is closed for Jewish holy days and select secular holidays.