Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Reports to: Herzl Camp Association Board of Directors
Salary Range: $140,000-$185,000
Herzl Camp is a welcoming, independent camp where young people become self-reliant, create lasting Jewish friendships, and develop commitment and love for Judaism and Israel. Herzl Camp creates a vibrant Jewish community of future leaders.
Our core values:
We make connections and nurture our Herzl family.
We are pluralistic in our Judaism; we embrace the people, the land and the story of Israel.
We provide tools, training and the opportunity to lead; transforming campers and staff into tomorrow’s passionate Jewish leaders.
We celebrate individuality and inclusion; encouraging everyone to be part of something bigger than themselves.
We embrace ongoing and inter-generational shared experiences – from the ridiculous to the sublime – to foster lasting friendships, build identity, community and a sense of belonging throughout our lives.
Reporting to the Herzl Camp Association Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Herzl Camp.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence; prioritizing rigorous and consistent quality of program evaluation, finance and administration, operations, fundraising, communications, risk management, and systems oversight.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the organization’s strategic goals, including executing on the strategic plan adopted in 2023 and setting the vision for ongoing strategy development and execution.
- Responsible for leading, developing, and coaching the organization’s senior leadership team.
- Ensure alignment across all facets of the organization
- Actively engage and energize Herzl Camp’s volunteers, board members, committees, alumni, partner organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors (Association and Foundation); serve as ex-officio of each committee or assign appropriate staff to oversee them; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing short-term projects and long-term initiatives.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and executing against the approved annual budget.
- Represent Herzl Camp in the broader community as a leader and ambassador.
- Oversee and work closely with Director of Camp & Culture to build a strong summer staff team to design and execute effective summer and family camp programming in Webster, WI.
- Oversee and work closely with Director of Camp & Culture to ensure excellence in programming, training of staff, and managing a safe, secure, and inclusive environment for all.
- Ensure effective tracking and measurement of camp’s impact to communicate successes to key constituents, identify areas of opportunity, and plan for and implement program improvements.
- Oversee and work closely with Director of Operations to ensure that our property, buildings, waterfront, general maintenance, and security meet the needs of our camp program.
- Provide leadership around organizational strategy, policies, risk management, critical communications, and crisis-management
- Oversee the development of the vision for and ultimate execution of year-round programming opportunities.
RECRUITMENT AND MARKETING
- Lead organization, including board members, staff, and volunteers, in efforts to welcome and include new campers, college-age staff, and their families into the Herzl community.
- Work closely with year-round camp staff to develop and execute robust and wide-ranging plans to recruit and retain campers and staff members from existing and new constituencies.
- Oversees all marketing and recruitment activities, sets clear goals, tracks and shares progress with all stakeholders.
FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Oversee and work closely with Advancement Director to sustain a culture of philanthropy.
- Build relationships that inspire generosity and ensure that the organization has the resources to achieve its mission.
- Overall supervision of HR function and point person for employees to navigate HR issues.
- Ownership of compliance, including the creation and maintenance of policy and procedures.
- Responsible for staff development and engagement strategy.
PLANNING AND NEW BUSINESS
- Participate and architect an ongoing strategic business planning process for growth, including potential expansion into new partnerships or revenue streams such as rentals and retreats and other year-round opportunities.
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Team player and team builder who is committed to executing Herzl Camp’s mission.
- Creative, proactive, persistent, and enthusiastic leader who is fun to be around.
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Deep knowledge of Jewish tradition, teachings, observance, and kashrut that allows the Executive Director to inspire a love of lifelong Jewish learning and Israel.
- An unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years experience working in a year-round supervisory and program management role
- Experience working in a camping environment (overnight camping) a plus
- Experience and proven success managing/supporting a non-profit board
- Will need to reside in Twin Cities (or surrounding areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul) and relocate to Webster, WI for summer program.
- SMB (small-to-midsize) business and P+L management/oversight preferred
Activities occur inside and outside, the employee is subject to both environmental conditions; however, the employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
BENEFITS AND PERKS OF WORKING AT HERZL CAMP
- Competitive base salary
- Flexible PTO
- Health coverage
- Retirement plan with company matching
- Free childcare (infant through age 17) during the summer camp season
- Collaborative work environment with a loyal and experienced staff
- Casual dress – it’s summer camp!
- Summers outside at our fantastic camp
- Continuous training, certifications, and learning opportunities
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by the Board of Directors, which reserves the right to revise or change the aforementioned job duties and responsibilities as necessary.
This position is a full time, salaried, permanent position eligible for Herzl Camp’s comprehensive benefits package.
Herzl Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in learning more about the position and/or submitting your application for the role, please email [email protected].