Job Title: Director of Lifelong Learning
Department: Lifelong Learning
FLSA Status: Full Time - Salary Exempt
Reports to: Clergy Supervisor to Department Lifelong Learning
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, in a historic, landmarked building with nearly 2,200 household members. While rooted in its legacy, Temple Emanu-El is also fueled by a sense of purpose, justice, and innovation to invigorate Jewish life today. Whether through its Streicker Center for adult engagement and the Streicker Outreach Center targeting young professionals, unaffiliated families, and seekers; its exceptional nursery school, religious school, and young families programming; its new downtown campus at The General Theological Seminary in Chelsea; Gather: Small Groups community; its work with those seeking conversion; Tikkun Olam programming and the Philanthropic Fund; or its vibrant affinity group network (Men’s Club, Women’s Auxiliary, Chavurah: Women’s Study Group, New Members, Fifth & 65th), Temple Emanu-El is known for the quality of its engagement. Emanu-El is a bold community unique in its warmth and majesty.
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is looking for a Director of Lifelong Learning who will continue our tradition of innovative congregational education. We are seeking a Jewish educator, rabbi, or cantor who will lead our Religious School, nurture our nationally recognized teen programming, create multi-faceted holiday celebrations and build upon creative family worship. We have 220 students in our one-day-a-week religious school and students have the option of meeting on Sundays or Mondays.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy connecting with and creating community, thrive on the potential offered at a time of change and opportunity, embrace possibility, embody steadiness and flexibility, and bring joy and excellence to their work. A successful Temple Emanu-El Director of Lifelong Learning will welcome students and families where they are, and draw them in.
We are committed to our new Director’s success and will provide support and resources to help them attain their vision. The Department of Lifelong Learning and synagogue professional teams collaborate, share resources, and grow together. Though Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York has strong classical reform roots, our services reflect various styles of prayer. Our congregants come from a variety of Jewish backgrounds and find a home here. Our community takes pride in its tradition and is excited by exploration and experimentation.
Vision-Setting, Strategic Planning and Leadership
- Establish a vision of religious school education, teen programming, and family learning, and articulate goals, and criteria to implement the vision
- Collaborate with the board, lay-committees, staff, faculty, parents, and students to deepen investment and ownership
- Set, foster, and model a collaborative, accountable, high-morale environment
- Lead a team growing an innovative, downtown religious school program that currently has 7 students ages 6-8 learning together
- Partner with the clergy supervisor to interweave the Department of Lifelong Learning with the clergy department to create a holistic experience for the families, including, but not limited to, B’nai Mitzvah program and synagogue worship
- Develop innovative curricula, materials, and programs to achieve the vision
- Keep abreast of best practices, including the use of technology
Constituent Care and Management
- Recruit and retain students, teens, and families and motivate increased engagement in synagogue life
- Foster a sense of community, building relationships with and between students, teens, families, and professional staff
- Identify and respond to individual needs and interests of students and families, recognizing special needs and offering interventions and accommodations
- Evaluate student progress and achievement
- Get to know students and families, developing a sense of trust and belonging
- Connect with constituents through teaching in various settings, including religious school tefilah, family services, holiday celebrations, parent education, nursery school visits, and programs
Finance, Administration and Operations
- Develop a budget for the department, oversee all expenses
- Coordinate departmental calendar and schedule of specific programs
- Work with our communication department in marketing program to constituents and potential members
- Lead, motivate, and supervise a high-performance education team, working collaboratively with the assistant director, other team members, and clergy
- Recruit and retain qualified professionals for full-time and part-time staff and school faculty, providing professional development
- Encourage team building, conflict management, and problem-solving
Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed
- A degree in Education, Jewish Education, Jewish Experiential Learning, related field, or ordination, or equivalent experience
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient technology skills
- Knowledge of developmental learning for children of all ages
Congregation Emanu-El requires all employees to be vaccinated and those who are eligible to be boosted. The temple will continue to work with its medical advisor to maintain health and safety policies in accordance with CDC and NYS/NYC Department of Health best practices.
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.