Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps
For more than 70 years, Camp Hess Kramer and Gindling Hilltop Camp have been providing meaningful experiences where campers and staff become part of an engaged community. While we plan to rebuild Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps, which were destroyed in the 2018 Malibu Woolsey Fire, our camps are thriving at a temporary site in Idyllwild, California.
The fires were devastating, but the opportunity is amazing! Out of the ashes we are creating a new facility that will house a 12 month a year program of Jewish engagement, a community resource, and a home to our historic summer camps. At this critical time we are seeking an experienced, data and technology-savvy development professional with an outstanding track record to assume primary responsibility for cultivating relationships, identifying prospects, securing major gifts, stewarding donors, and providing support to the Camp’s Executive Director. This candidate will need to balance annual giving, alumni engagement, a capital campaign and planning for the future. This position reports directly to the Camp’s Executive Director and works in collaboration with the Camp Director, Camp Rabbi, and lay leaders while sitting on the Wilshire Boulevard Temple’s advancement team coordinating with the Director of Institutional Advancement.
The Development & Alumni Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the senior camp team, camp’s fundraising chair and fundraising committee, provide collaborative leadership to implement and grow a fundraising strategy
- Serve as a partner to the senior camp team and key volunteers to solicit and steward donors and prospects; set 1:1 meetings and provide research and background for Camp Executive Director, Camp Director and Camp Rabbi
Planning, Database Management & Project Management
- Work with the Temple’s IS Director to maintain the integrity of the Camp’s database, tracking and analyzing weekly activity with development and engagement data dashboards
- Manage timeline and resources needed for development activities
- Lead the planning, organization and implementation of fundraising activities, including events, meetings, direct mail, cultivation visits, solicitation visits, etc.
- Implement and monitor “Donor Recognition” policies
- Devise and implement a stewardship program to assure (i) regular contact with donors through written communication as well as various stewardship and cultivation activities and events, and (ii) additional fundraising requests are strategically made
- Generate acknowledgement letters
- Generate pledge reminders and reports on fundraising activities
- Identify potential donors and develop strategies for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship in collaboration with senior camp team and lay leaders
- Work hands-on to execute effective strategies for cycle of development with donors
- Maintain and build on existing foundation relationships and identify new opportunities for support
- Write, edit and submit grant proposals and reports, as needed
- Plan summer camp visitation programs/other special events including the annual Poker Tournament
- Assist with the recruitment and coordination of volunteers focused on alumni and fundraising activities
- Staff and manage the Camp Committee and Camp sub-committees, providing scheduling, support and materials for meetings
Public Relations & Communications
- Write and prepare monthly camp article for Temple bulletin, materials needed for alumni engagement and fundraising and update website
- Organize on-site tours for major donors, prospects and others at the Malibu camp site
- Work with camp professionals and the Alumni Committee to support alumni engagement, outreach and activities to create a robust Alumni Association
- Coordinate all fundraising efforts and outreach to potential donors with the Temple’s Director of Institutional Advancement
- Attend meetings of the Temple Advancement Committee
Skills and Experiences
- Undergraduate degree required, Masters preferred
- A minimum of three (3) years’ proven experience and skills with success as a frontline solicitor
- Expertise with Raisers Edge or Salesforce software as well as regular tracking and analysis reporting
- Significant understanding of the essence and unique value of a camp environment, as well as knowledge of Jewish camp trends and practice is strongly preferred
- Persuasive writing and presentation skills and the ability to communicate to diverse audiences
- Management/mentoring experience at a non-profit is preferred
Personal qualities include:
- People-oriented, enthusiastic, collaborative and dependable
- Superior organization and time-management skills
- Ease communicating with others in writing, in person and over the phone
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with and interest in the Jewish religion and customs
- Hybrid position with required time in the office to be determined by the Camp Director
- Occasional, consistent time spent at Camp during the summer for events and donor visits
- Participation in professional development programs, including annual conferences and gatherings, is expected
Additional information about us: Since 1952, Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps have been providing a dynamic and engaging environment where campers and staff become part of a community. We strive to build a place where everyone is equal and included, supported and cared for, connected and challenged. Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps provide children a better understanding of their Jewish background while giving them a summer they will never forget.
Wilshire Boulevard Temple Camps is owned by Wilshire Boulevard Temple. One of America’s most highly respected congregations, Wilshire Boulevard Temple has been serving the Los Angeles Jewish community since its founding in 1862 as Congregation B’nai B’rith, the city's first synagogue. Wilshire Boulevard Temple is a center for Jewish spirituality and celebration, lifelong learning and friendship. We are home to an engaged congregation and clergy team where every person matters.
From our beginning with only eight member families, we now have four campuses: the historic Erika J. Glazer Family Campus in Wilshire Center/Koreatown, our modern Audrey and Sydney Irmas Campus in West Los Angeles, our inviting Resnick Campus in Brentwood and our camps and conference center in Malibu. Wilshire Boulevard Temple is an exciting and rewarding place to serve the Jewish people.
This position is located at the Erika J. Glazer Family Campus in Wilshire Center/Koreatown
Please submit resumes to: Cheri Lauterbach, Director of Institutional Advancement at [email protected]