Position Title: Engagement and Program Associate
Location: Orange County, California; primarily work from home
Reports to: Founding Rabbi/CEO, with some direction from the Board of Directors
Schedule/Compensation: Approximately 25 hours per week with potential to increase to full-time; compensation commensurate with experience up to $30/hour.
About the Jewish Collaborative of Orange County:
The Jewish Collaborative of Orange County (JCoOC) is an inclusive nonprofit organization dedicated to invigorating communal Jewish life by fostering collaborative programming with and between Jewish institutions, agencies, and independent talent. We provide meaningful ways to connect with Jewish life outside conventional models through creative programs in education, social justice, the arts, worship, and spiritual healing. The Collaborative creates its own innovative online and in-person programs in addition to supporting and collaborating with other local and national Jewish organizations on activities that align with its mission.
With strategic direction and oversight provided by the Collaborative’s Founder and Rabbi, the primary functions of the Engagement and Program (E&P) Associate are:
1) Facilitate timely and appropriate communications with donors and those who have made legacy commitments
2) Help plan/organize programs and events, both online and in-person, and work during programs/events to ensure they run smoothly
3) Develop/send out timely follow-up communications to all event participants
The E&P Associate is also expected to perform light administrative duties (e.g. meeting coordination and note-taking), assist with promoting programs, work cooperatively with the Digital Marketing and Content Manager, and interface with community leaders.
This position requires the ability to work semi-independently with a high degree of organization and attention to detail, while remaining in regular communication with and taking direction from the Rabbi and other staff, as well as members of the Board of Directors.
Duties of Engagement and Program Associate will include:
- Draft templated thank-you communications for donors in various categories (major donors, legacy donors, monthly donors, one-time donors, etc.) and ensure these communications go out in a timely manner
- Research automating the thank-you process through various giving channels (ShulCloud, PayPal, Stripe, Facebook)
- Create Legacy and Major donor profiles in the ShulCloud constituent management software and schedule regular communications (written, oral) between the Rabbi and these donors
- Prepare and send out donor upgrade communications (e.g., encouraging non-donor participants to become donors, asking periodic donors to become monthly donors, etc.)
- Set up donor/potential donor meetings for the Rabbi and attend those meetings as needed.
- Brainstorm with the Rabbi on a variety of possible donor recognition opportunities (receptions, gifts, etc.)
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a formalized donor/legacy gift outreach program
- Help plan, administer, and record attendance for online programs/events, including opening the Zoom, letting people in, pushing to Facebook, etc.
- Help plan and attend in-person events to check people in/gather follow-up information, chat with attendees to learn more about them for future communications, and otherwise ensure programs/events run smoothly
- At Jewish Collaborative programs and events, communicate the purpose and goals of the organization to participants/donors in a clear, concise way, and listen to and understand participants’/donors’ needs
- Ensure that all program/event participants receive follow-up communications in a timely manner to keep them engaged/ask them to support the organization
- Develop templated surveys and send out to program/event attendees; compile results for the Board
- In consultation with the Rabbi and volunteer leaders, help reach out to potential collaborative partners in OC and nationally
- Assist the Digital Marketing and Content Manager with online promotions
- Assist the Rabbi in creating concise and accurate reports of income and expenses and other reports for monthly Board meetings
- Attend monthly Board meetings and take notes
- Hands-on planning and assistance with major events (3 or 4 annually) like High Holiday programming, fundraisers and retreat experiences that may require additional work hours
Required Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years’ experience in member relations/hospitality/donor relations required
- Previous experience working with donors and/or other sensitive relationships preferred
- Highly organized, accurate and detail-oriented
- Excellent letter and email-writing skills
- Excellent telephone and interpersonal skills
- Good problem-solving skills, with the ability to remain calm and composed in hectic or stressful situations
- Ability to attend, on average, 4 in-person events per month in Orange County (usually in the evenings or on weekends) and an average of 4 online events/classes/workshops per week
- Comfortable using technology, with specific skills in Microsoft Office programs and constituent or project management programs
- Ability to work independently with periodic direction, as well as working well with other remote team members
- Previous nonprofit work and small-scale event planning experience preferred
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their resume with a cover letter and 2 letter writing samples (preferably directed at donors) to [email protected].