Teen Engagement Associate
Ohr Kodesh Congregation
8300 Meadowbrook Lane
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Ohr Kodesh is looking for a natural relationship-builder with a love for Judaism who will bring energy and creativity to their work with our teens.
This full-time position offers the opportunity to be creative and to share your excitement and passions with teens beginning their independent Jewish journeys. You will have the chance to build meaningful and impactful relationships with teens and their families while developing professional skills in a vibrant Jewish community organization.
In this position, you will work with a committed and collaborative educational staff for a Conservative synagogue that is committed to taking the Jewish tradition seriously and working with a knowledgeable and engaged lay leadership to deepen our knowledge and create fun, meaningful, and enriching Jewish experiences for our teens and families.
The Teen Engagement Associate (TEA) serves as an advisor to our youth groups. This individual is responsible for the administrative responsibilities connected to all middle and high school formal educational programs, including supporting the Cantor in the B'nai Mitzvah program. This person will recruit, train and supervise synagogue programming for the teens who support our teachers in Shabbat, High Holiday, and Religious School programs. This individual will work closely with the Director of Lifelong Learning and all educational leaders to create the possible Jewish experiences for the teens and their families, fulfill administrative responsibilities to ensure an effective and professional educational program, and work appropriately with lay leadership in every aspect of the program. All Ohr Kodesh professionals are committed to mentoring and supporting the Teen Engagement Associate as this individual develops these skills.
Teen Leaders and Madrichim
- Recruiting, training, scheduling, supervising and paying teens to support Ohr Kodesh Educational programming Teen Leaders and Madrichim (Teen Crew, Religious School Madrichim, Family events, High Holiday support)
Teen Education and Programming
- Coordinate Shabbat morning services for teens.
- Support B'nai Mitzvah Programming (Mitzvah Scholars) - will work with the Educational staff and the cantor to prepare students for their B'nei Mitzvah ceremonies and to transition to post B'nai Mitzvah roles in the community.
- Mitzvah Scholar cohorts on Shabbat mornings when needed, participating in planning Yom Iyun programs for Mitzvah Scholars
- Prepares and leads middle school Chesed Corps.
- Teaching middle school and high school-aged students in the Religious School as needed.
- Work with the educational team to plan and implement programs including High Holidays, Purim, Chanukkah, etc.
- During the school year, Saturday, Sunday, and Jewish holidays are part of the regular work week, with mutually agreeable time off during the week.
Youth Group Advisor for Youth Groups
- Ongoing communication, texting, and hanging out with our teens
- Bonim (K - Grade 2)
- Machar (Grades 3-5)
- Kadima (Grades 6-8)
- USY (Grades 8-12)
Administration and Communication
- Participate on committees and engage professionals and lay leaders to ensure clear communication and synergy among educational cohorts.
- Ensure regular, consistent, and effective communication with teens and their families.
- Budgeting and administration of the financial aspects of teen programming.
- Attend occasional committee meetings as needed.
- Confidence initiating and running programs
- Excitement and willingness to not slow down until you have reached your goals
- Self-driven and motivated, with energy and enthusiasm for Jewish programming
- Excellent follow-through on projects, ability to multitask, and a team player
- Creative problem solving
- Ability to work Shabbat and Sunday, with a flexible weekday schedule
- Knowledge of Conservative Jewish Practice
- Experience with and a love for working with teens
Salary: $40,000 - 42,500
- Medical insurance
- Optional dental & vision insurance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Two weeks of paid vacation
- 8 paid secular holidays
- Pleasant work environment
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Rabbi Batya Glazer, Director of Lifelong Learning