Congregation Beth El, a thriving Conservative synagogue with close to 800 families, seeks a motivated, passionate, and mission-driven professional to manage all aspects of the synagogue’s development and membership activities. The Development & Membership Director will partner with the Executive Director, Clergy, and Board of Trustees to develop and implement a cohesive, consistent fundraising strategy. The position will provide leadership on fundraising initiatives including stewardship efforts, major gifts, planned giving, sponsorships, donor cultivation, and grant writing. Leadership and coordination will also be provided for any potential non-annual campaign (endowment/capital). As a key member of the senior staff of Beth El, the Development & Membership Director will oversee the overall registration, onboarding, and stewardship of all members of the congregation as well as other supporters.
The Development & Membership Director is responsible for the overall strategic direction, leadership, and management of fundraising and philanthropic activities The Development & Membership Director is also responsible for interacting with potential new members of the congregation and ushering them through the membership onboarding process, navigating the financial assistance process for adjusted membership dues rates when applicable, coordinating the yearly member renewal process, and overseeing the High Holy Day ticketing process. The Development & Membership Director partners with the Executive Director in oversight of the supervision of others on the Engagement Team inclusive of direct oversight of the Marketing & Communications Coordinator and shared oversight of the Events & Programming Coordinator.
Primary Development Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of annual fundraising programs, including fundraising events, Shomrim Benefactor Program, Community Partnership Program, High Holiday Appeal, and our Life & Legacy planned gift program – help to encourage new planned gifts to the synagogue.
- Coordinate create of yearly fundraising calendar focused on a variety of appeals and special events.
- Onsite assistance with events and programs as needed.
- Manage any fundraising campaigns outside of annual giving including, potential endowment, capital, and programmatic campaigns. Identify prospective donors, help develop case for support, and coordinate solicitation meetings (mainly to be made by Clergy, Executive Director, and Board members)
- Manage administrative tasks related to fundraising including, event set-up, registration, database entry, reporting, mailings, etc.
- Develop and support a Fundraising Committee to assist in the implementation of initiatives.
- Three – five years professional fundraising experience required. Past work in a synagogue or within the Jewish Community preferred.
Primary Membership Responsibilities:
- Membership management, inclusive of annual renewal process, maintaining updated files, meeting with prospective members, onboarding new members and conducting exit interviews and partnering with our finance department for accurate billing reflective of agreements with members.
- Member engagement, inclusive of building relationships, supporting arms (auxiliary groups) and departments and ensuring that they are maximizing their engagement impact.
- Partner with clergy, staff and leadership to help members deepen their connections with others at Beth El.
- Create opportunities where members can participate in dynamic, transformative, and meaningful Jewish experiences
- Develop and implement ways to recruit, connect, motivate and honor volunteers.
- Serve as lead staff member with Executive Director and other key senior staff with greeting/member experience during High Holiday services
- Develop and execute targeted stewardship plan focused on members, donors, staff, and community members
About Congregation Beth El:
Our purpose as a congregation is to share the joys and responsibilities of Jewish tradition in a relevant, modern, and meaningful way with all who come under our wings. We hope that by getting to know us better you’ll find Beth El to be a place of encouragement and hope, joy and celebration; a source of meaning and inspiration in your life. At the same time, please know that Beth El strives to be a source of support and comfort in challenging times as well. At Beth El you are a part of a synagogue family that cares about you, looks out for you, and is concerned about your needs.
We strive to help individuals and families find meaningful points of entry into synagogue life. For some this may be through participation in our spiritually uplifting prayer services, for others it might be through Jewish learning, both in formal and informal settings. Still others will find their way to community through our peer-based social groups for youth, young families, empty nesters, and seniors. There are many paths to connection at Beth El.