The Aleph Institute is on the front lines of criminal justice reform, helping people in prisons and their families with humanitarian, religious, and social services, making an indelible impact on justice practices within the United States, helping people stay out of prison through alternative sentencing and diversion programs, assisting people throughout their reentry back to society, and providing Jewish community and religious services to members of the United States armed forces.
The Aleph Institute’s Communications Department seeks a proactive, detail-oriented, strategic, and creative Communications Associate with a passion for storytelling and collaboration. The Communications Associate will work with a range of stakeholders across the organization to create compelling content for both internal and external target audiences, to promote our mission and implement branding for donor outreach, fundraising campaigns, and other Aleph initiatives. This is a remote, full-time position, with flexible hours available and a lot of potential for growth for the right candidate.
Job Description: To receive requests for and produce professional and engaging written pieces for various programs and initiatives within the Aleph Institute, as outlined below.
- Produce monthly newsletter for donors and other email subscribers
- Produce monthly updates, and/or inner-circle updates on cases, for high-profile donor groups and provide to contact managers to send out
- Write both re-useable/template and single-use professional letters as the need arises, thanking donors for their contributions, following up with meetings and other related development communications and solicitations
- Write and develop proposals to support fundraising initiatives for different Aleph programs
- Write copy for flyers and other publications that represent Aleph to the public, as well as oversee the design and production process of those materials with Aleph’s designer
- Write editorial/advertorial stories to promote Aleph’s work in various media outlets
- General editing or collaborative input on other written materials from colleagues across the organization
Additional administrative responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining and organizing Google drive files as it relates to documents produced throughout the activities above
- Assist with the yearly calendar with due dates for repeating letters/communications so that those communications can be prepared in advance with the necessary lead time
- Liaise with graphic designers and vendors for individual projects, as needed
- At least three to five years of professional work experience in the field of communications
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Motivated self-starter capable of taking initiative and working independently as well as within a team environment
- Social media experience preferred but not required
- Ability to adapt writing to different voices and target audiences
- Flexible schedule with the ability to occasionally work at night or on weekends as needed
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and a few writing samples to [email protected], with the subject “Communications Associate Applicant.”
The Aleph Institute is an equal opportunity employer.