Development and Operations Manager
University of Maryland Hillel
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining University of Maryland Hillel as the Development and Operations Manager. You’ll power Hillel by supporting efforts to connect people, vital funds and resources to our mission.
Maryland Hillel is a vibrant and extremely active Hillel, located on the College Park Campus, just ten miles north of Washington DC. The growth of Maryland Hillel in recent years, along with the exciting Jewish campus community and supportive university relations create a wonderful work environment. With over 6,500 Jewish undergraduate and graduate students, the university is one of the largest Jewish campus communities in the nation.
Maryland Hillel seeks a motivated, creative individual with strong communication and organizational skills to serve as the full-time Development and Operations Manager. This individual will work with the Operations and Development teams to develop and promote a vibrant, pluralistic Jewish community at the University of Maryland. The Development and Operations Manager will report to the Director of Finance and Operations.
In addition, the Development and Operations Manager is responsible for contributing to the Advancement team’s management, implementation, and achievement of UMD Hillel’s fundraising initiatives toward a $1.4M+ annual goal. Ideal candidates are early-career development professionals with 3+ years development experience or those new to the field of development who possess a strong desire to explore fundraising. This position is highly focused on such areas as prospect research, direct solicitation, mail and e-solicitation, as well as phone and text-based fundraising, largely from audiences composed of parents, young alumni, and community members.
What You’ll Do
- Play a key role in creating and implementing a tracking system to move prospects along the giving continuum and manage the donor records.
- Assist with database management: update and clean-up lists, merge records, update system, and coordinate between various database systems, including Salesforce, Maryland Hillel’s website and Constant Contact.
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Run lists, queries, and reports and assist the development team to analyze the campaign progress.
- Provide administrative support as needed for a variety of internal and external programs and events to include but not limited to creating and test forms for relevant program registrations, surveys and donations.
- Identify, steward, and directly solicit a portfolio of donors and prospects who generally contribute between $500-$999 annually.
- Manage the annual campaign and grants calendars.
- Review gift agreements.
- Prepare resources including training manuals, prospect segments, caller scripts, caller incentives, donor gifts, and group bonding opportunities.
- Coordinate logistics with staff and student leaders for program needs.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for Jewish holidays.
- Establish and review service contracts with suppliers/vendors/maintenance support.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Operations on building security and security protocols and emergency management planning.
- Serve as the liaison between outside catering groups and Dining Manager.
- Update website.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ve Accomplished
- A minimum of three years' experience in an administrative position, preferably in a non-profit development office.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Applying written and oral communication skills; able to communicate appropriately through email, formal letters, reports, and social media
- Understanding/Use of Salesforce or other CRM's with a close eye to detail
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Management of donor or customer relation databases - Salesforce Preferred
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Canva, and social media platforms required
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel (local and remote)
- Capability to work independently and collaboratively, success managing multiple priorities
- A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A sense of humor and a positive attitude
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $48,000 - $55,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Plenty of Hillel and university schwag
About Maryland Hillel
Maryland Hillel, located in College Park, MD in close proximity to Washington, DC, enjoys a national reputation for its Jewish community, both due to its size and, more critically, due to the vibrancy of Jewish life on campus. A team of 11 professionals work in concert with Jewish students to facilitate a veritable menu of experiences and opportunities. Hillel strives to ensure that Jewish students derive meaning and value from connecting, in their individual ways, with our tradition, heritage, and Israel. Maryland Hillel draws students to the University of Maryland from around the country with large contingents from Maryland, the tristate area, Florida and California. Following many years of growth, Hillel is conducting a capital campaign to construct a custom-built 38,000 square foot Jewish student center to continue to support this thriving Jewish community into the future.
Maryland Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.