Beth El is a warm and welcoming Conservative Synagogue in Central New Jersey with over 250 family units. Beth El has a strong youth community with a religious school and social programming for grades Pre-K to 12, and an active regional USY. Youth activities include Hooray for Holidays (18 months-Kindergarten), Pre-Kadima (3rd-5th grades), Kadima (6th-8th grades) and USY (9th-12th grades). The Director will provide leadership to all these programs, supervise the Pre-Kadima Advisor, and serve as the Advisor for the Kadima and USY chapters.
- Support elected youth leaders in developing meaningful programs beneficial to all Beth El youth.
- Cultivate leadership traits and offer mentorship to current and aspiring youth leaders.
- Provide supervision and support to Pre-Kadima Advisor.
- Provide robust, monthly in-person activities with contingencies in place for virtual gatherings.
- Foster relationships among youth of all ages and backgrounds; empower youth to develop new friendships and engage in unfamiliar activities.
- Organize annual Purim Carnival.
- Promote regional and international USY conferences and events; attend events when required.
- Assist with broader synagogue initiatives and special events.
- Communicate with participants, parents, and colleagues using various platforms (e.g., phone and text, Remind app, Instagram, Facebook) under the guidance of the Assistant Rabbi/Education Director and Vice President of Programming. Review and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Create and promote events via various modalities, e.g., flyers, email, and social media posts.
- Document activities with pictures to promote success through social and physical media.
- Maintain an up-to-date database of program participants.
- Integrate programming with synagogue calendar.
- Assist with registration and attendance for programs, events, and service opportunities.
- Coordinate event funding, promotion, setup and breakdown with the Synagogue office team
- Arrange staff support, food, budget, and transportation for youth events. Includes ordering and picking up food/supplies for programming when needed.
- Be a well-spoken and present Jewish role model and mentor in the Beth El community.
- Meet 1-2x//month with Assistant Rabbi/ Education Director and VP of Programming.
- Schedule and run monthly chapter board meetings..
- Work with Hagalil leadership on regional USY events. Attend regional Youth Commission meetings.
- Oversee USY board elections.
- Collaborate with Beth El Membership and Programming Committees to develop programming designed to attract unaffiliated families through a variety of social, holiday, educational, community service, and religious events.
- Facilitate relationships with Beth El families to build an inclusive community for congregational youth.
- Strong organizational, time management, and communications skills.
- Robust Jewish (cultural and/or religious) background; Passion and enthusiasm for Judaism and Jewish life.
- Proficiency with creating vibrant and invigorating formal and informal Jewish programs.
- Experience working with children/teens in an educational and/or recreational setting.
- Demonstrated ability to follow rules, regulations, policies, and procedures associated with working with children.
- Proven reliability and experience navigating change.
- Access to a reliable cell phone and computer, and stable internet access.
- (Preferred) Availability to lead teen programming for Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur
This role is a part-time position. Approximately 8-10 hours/week. A given week’s hours may vary based on holiday and event schedules.
Annual Salary: $10,000 (paid semi-monthly)