Create the Jewish future – in the midst of a community that is undergoing major transformation.
Temple Israel of West Palm Beach, located in West Palm Beach, Florida, seeks a part-time Director of Education and Youth Programming for 3 days per week plus Sunday school. We are a Reform congregation of approximately 220 member families with about 25 youth in our religious school, a madrichim program and an innovative LGBTQ teen program. Our school program includes thrice monthly Sunday sessions between August and May. Beginning in fourth grade, students also attend weekly Hebrew sessions. Weekdays include late afternoon/evening sessions with our students during the school year. Synergy and teamwork are part of our culture.
We value Jewish tradition, as understood within a contemporary Reform context; a commitment to the Jewish people and Israel; social justice; diversity; creativity and innovation.
This job could be for you:
- If you are creative, organized, and motivated
- If you want to partner with our team to continue to grow learning for students and families
- If you want a mentoring relationship with a seasoned rabbi
- If you like collaborating with professional staff and lay leadership
- If you can multi-task
- If you encourage and welcome parental involvement
- If you are sensitive to issues around LGBTQ youth and adults, outreach and intermarried families
- If you have outstanding computer skills, including Word, Excel, and social media
Our Director of Education and Youth Programming will:
- Create and maintain a joyful, substantive educational environment that will prepare students and their families for meaningful engagement in Judaism, the Jewish community, and the Jewish people
- Participate in hiring, supervising, mentoring, and evaluating teachers and teen teaching assistants (madrichim), building upon an innovative program designed in consultation with the Jewish Education Project
- Work with the Rabbi and professional team to prepare and maintain necessary school schedules, family and financial records and budgets
- Partner with Rabbi and other professionals in fulfilling our new program – a LGBTQ drop-in center for Jewish teens – the only one of its kind in Palm Beach County
- Help develop a program for Jewish young adults in the West Palm Beach area
- Do outreach in the larger Jewish community to enlarge our market; bring informal Jewish programming into public spaces; creatively engage unaffiliated families
- Critically evaluate and revise our curriculum
- Be involved in marketing and recruitment for the school, especially through social media
- Initiate and support fundraising efforts to enhance the school budget
- Teach in the Hebrew program
- Be involved in the B’nai Mitzvah program, including scheduling and tutoring students
- Write monthly bulletin articles; regular updates to parents; and information for the Temple board
- Promote connections between school and various other constituencies within the congregation, such as Brotherhood and Sisterhood, to deepen relationships and engagement
- Participate in the community’s Educators Council
Salary: $50,000, plus standard benefits
Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, prior teaching experience, comfort with the theology and practices of the Reform movement, and experience with teaching basic Hebrew and prayer. Prior school administration or management experience is preferred, but not required. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]. Use the words “Religious School Director Application” as the email’s subject line.