UpStart inspires and empowers leaders to dream, build, and grow bold initiatives that enhance the vitality of Jewish Life.
UpStart was founded fifteen years ago with a sole focus: to accelerate the success of social entrepreneurs fueling a renaissance in Jewish life. Since then, we have invested in 130+ ventures and their leaders while cultivating an ecosystem of institutional leaders and funders committed to Jewish community change. We are excited to be actively implementing a new Strategic Plan to put social entrepreneurs at the center of everything we do. Our vision is that Jewish communities will be thriving hubs of innovation, building a more just, vibrant, and inclusive future.
UpStart’s vision is that Jewish communities will be thriving hubs of innovation, building a more just, vibrant, and inclusive future. As such, we aspire to build an entrepreneurial ecosystem that models this future, embodying and driving toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Statistics show that women and structurally marginalized and/or underrepresented groups of people need to see themselves in almost 100% of the requirements in a job posting to apply. We welcome you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications, as no one applicant ever does.
UpStart strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied identities and backgrounds, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA people, and people who come from low-income or working-class backgrounds. As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.
UpStart seeks a Learning Systems Manager to join our Social Entrepreneurship team, part of the larger Strategy and Impact Department. The Social Entrepreneurship team is currently relaunching updated programming for organizations at the Early Stage and Growth Stage of venture development, and has plans to build out Idea Stage programming over the next year. Key to these relaunches is the addition of a Learning Management System to allow program participants to move asynchronously through the program curriculum. This role, overseeing our Learning Management System, will be pivotal to the success of this update and expansion of UpStart’s programs. Though this position is not directly responsible for curriculum design, this role will work closely with our designer to tailor content to meet the needs of learners, and align with best practices in asychronous and E-learning. This role will also be responsible for creating a strong virtual community among learners.
The Learning Systems Manager will report to the Senior Director, Social Entrepreneurship (Davita Louie) and work closely with members of the Strategy and Impact Department to deliver programs that support organizations at various stages of development.
Manage Learning Management System (LMS) Functionality and Maintain Resources
- Manage backend content updates and assignments
- Provide design support as needed for asynchronous learning and live touchpoints in collaboration with the Director, Human Centered Design
- Work with the Program Operations team and LMS contractor to design layouts in the LMS for the most effective E-learning
- Manage and support curation of the“resource hub” within the LMS in collaboration with the Director, Human Centered Design and the Network team
- Maintain integration of third-party apps within the LMS in partnership with the LMS contractor
Manage Positive Participant User Experience on the LMS
- Develop a strong understanding of program curriculum to connect program participants and Network members with the correct person to support their learning
- Oversee all asynchronous elements including resources and curriculum for all Social Entrepreneurship programs and Network offerings
- Build strong virtual community and cohort learning by developing creative opportunities for engagement within the LMS
- Monitor and moderate participant chats happening in the LMS as needed
- Monitor the progress program participants are making in their asynchronous engagement, including pulling backend data reports on usage, and collaborating with UpStart teams to ensure participants are on track in their program and engaged in the Network
- In partnership with the Program Operations & Systems team evaluate and process applications, keep track of rolling sign-ups, and communicate decisions with applicants for programs that are primarily asynchronous
- Troubleshoot with program participants and Network members to ensure a positive virtual experience
Collaborate Cross-Departmentally to Ensure Delivery of Asynchronous Programming
- Collaborate with the Program Operations & Systems team to ensure cross-functional alignment and accessibility of the LMS with all program schedules, systems, and timelines
- Partner with the Brand Strategy Department to ensure that any external program communications and visual branding are thoughtfully strategized
Manage Program Participant and Network Onboarding to the LMS
- Train program participants and Network members on how to use and engage with UpStart’s LMS
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience managing E-learning platforms
- Expert in managing, innovating, and using learning management systems
- Detail-oriented and understands how to manage resources and databases
- Experience supporting participants in E-learning experiences
- Knows how to build community and motivate people to participate in virtual spaces
- Experience creating inclusive cohorts for learning
- Able to evaluate and learn from data and feedback
- Ability to embrace ambiguity and adapt to pursue new opportunities, both organizational and technological
- Successful collaborator across departments and teams
- Innovative thinker, not afraid to provide critical feedback and implement changes
- Expertise and/or experience in entrepreneurship and facilitation and training a plus
- Passion for UpStart’s mission and the work of UpStart’s network
- Commitment to UpStart’s values
- Commitment to integrating a diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice lens into every piece of their work
The salary range for this position is $65,000-72,000 commensurate with the candidate's experience and aligned with internal equity.
In addition to a competitive salary, UpStart currently offers the following benefits:
- A comprehensive benefits package, including 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave with no waiting period.
- FSA and Commuter Benefits accounts.
- Employer-sponsored 401K with employer match.
- Flexible discretionary paid time off.
- Annual $1,500 professional development stipend.
- Annual $250 wellness stipend.
- $300 office setup stipend and provided Mac.
- Monthly $50 cell phone stipend.
- Meeting-Free Fridays.
- 3:00pm local close-of-business on Fridays.
- Days off for all work-prohibitive Jewish holidays, in addition to secular US holidays.
- A one-month (30 days) paid sabbatical per every five years of employment.
- Occasional travel for meetings, conferences, and other business-related activities.
- A great remote-first work culture! Check out our culture deck here.
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to submit your resume and a thoughtful, one-page cover letter telling us why you are interested in this specific role and working at UpStart. The application deadline is Thursday, June 8.
UpStart is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, UpStart will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided accommodations. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Sydney Hirsch at [email protected] for assistance.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. For questions or concerns about Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, please contact Whitney Weathers, Managing Director, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, at [email protected].
Here’s an overview of our hiring process*:
- Step 1: Apply with your resume and cover letter!
- Step 2: Phone screen with an UpStart recruiter.
- Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
- Step 4: A video interview with a panel of UpStart employees.
- Step 5: We’ll check your references to learn about your past experience.
- Step 6: Get an offer letter, sign it, and start your professional journey with UpStart!
*Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.