Barnert Temple is an innovative Reform Jewish Temple located in Franklin Lakes, NJ (Northern NJ) with 400+ member families. We seek a creative, savvy, and self-motivated individual who has outstanding writing, editing, and organizational skills. This person will have broad responsibility to help guide the Temple’s communication and social media portfolio, interacting and coordinating with the Senior Rabbi, the Assistant Rabbi, Office Manager, Director of Preschool, Director of Jewish Journey Program (education) and lay leaders. Our team members each wear multiple hats in our dynamic office environment.
Reports to: Office Manager
- You will be responsible for creating and executing a multi-faceted internal and external communication strategy working with Rabbi, office manager and leadership
- Create lively content for emails, eblasts, website, bulletins, social media to promote educational, social, and religious events and develop new ways to share Barnert Temple’s vision and mission
- Partner with lay leaders to write and edit content of marketing pieces, invitations, announcements, forms for print and electronic media and oversee creation and content of quarterly magazine
- Proactively maintain, update, and create website content
Membership Engagement (20%)
- Create an engagement and welcoming strategy for outreach to potential and existing members in partnership with our lay membership committee
- Prepare and send correspondence, online surveys to members focusing on connection and relationship building
- Coordinate with Ritual Committee on High Holidays
- Update database(s) via ShulCloud, for membership changes, event forms and other functions and leverage the data to inform our communications and engagement strategies
- Liaise with IT and AV Team committees to ensure smooth running of ritual related technologies.
- Oversee Live Streaming contract and schedule
- Implement the use of texting with Shulcloud and/or One Call Now for time sensitive communications (i.e. weather cancellations)
- Provide on-site Office365 support for Barnert Temple’s administrative and professional staff. (Ex. how to use Teams, create secure folders teach mail-merge, take data from ShulCloud and make it available to the Board or Leadership Committee in Teams etc.)
General Administration (10%)
- Assists in general office duties
- Partner with Cemetery Committee with purchase of plots, preparation of deeds, etc.
- Manage and coordinate temple calendars
- Help administrative team in general office tasks including but not limited to answering phones, opening mail, coordinating room assignments, maintaining guard schedules
- College degree
- Excellent interpersonal skills, clear writing and critical thinking skills
- Skilled at Microsoft Office suite/Office 365, Excel, Google Drive/Docs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, WordPress, PowerPoint, Canva (or other design tools); Survey Monkey; Shulcloud experience a plus
- Ability to learn and adapt to new and changing software
- Proven ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks with extreme attention to detail
- Comfortable collaborating with many different committees and lay leaders
- Compassion, confidence and poise when speaking with members.
- Ability to work well in a team setting, showing respect for all
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- At least two years’ relevant experience in the communications field
- Knowledge of Jewish rituals and culture a plus; experience in a synagogue or other Jewish organization a plus but not required
Schedule and Workplace
The position is full-time, a Monday-Friday work schedule (leave early for Shabbat on Fridays), with the possibility of optional attendance at an occasional evening or weekend job responsibility. After initial training period, may work partially remotely upon supervisor approval.
The temple building is 100% ADA accessible. The Temple is located in a suburban setting off a major highway; there is no direct public transportation. Parking is located at the temple.
After a brief probationary period, the incumbent will be eligible for vacation, health insurance and 403(b). The office is closed on major Jewish holidays in addition to federal holidays.
Barnert Temple is an equal opportunity employer.