Join a committed, caring, talented faculty in delivering an exemplary and inspiring general and Jewish education. Together, we ensure a vibrant Jewish future through the growth of confident, compassionate thinkers who engage the world through Jewish values.
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School Lower School seeks a highly responsible individual who truly enjoys working with children from early childhood through the elementary school years for the 2022-2023 academic year. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position compensated on our Teaching Assistant salary scale.
The in-house substitute teacher position requires an individual with the teaching and classroom management skills to be able to lead classroom instruction across the elementary school years and disciplines. As a dual curriculum school, comfort with instructing in Judaic Studies content would be preferred, but is not required. This position requires the flexibility to assist with administrative tasks when not assigned to classroom teaching duties. When not assigned to classroom or duty coverage, the In-House Substitute Teacher will support the planning for and coordination of our substitute assignments at the beginning of each school day in collaboration with Administrative Assistants and members of the Administrative Team.
This is a wonderful job opportunity for positive people interested in being a part of a wonderful learning community and/or early career teachers looking to grow their experience as they begin their careers.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Takes initiative
- Highly responsible
- Flexible and adaptable to changing situations
- Work with students across elementary school grade levels
- Collaborative team player
- Patient, calm, and supportive in high-intensity situations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with integrating technology into teaching practice
- Interest in collaborating with colleagues within and across subject disciplines
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive learning environment
- Passion for working with children
- Strong organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Degree in Education or related field, preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ)
- Faculty may be asked to perform their work responsibilities on campus and/or at home. In both settings, the teacher is required to maintain a professional environment.
- While on campus, classes may be operating either in person or in an alternative setting. Teachers are expected to be present and accessible for the agreed upon hours regardless of the setting.
- In accordance with the School's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, the School has adopted a mandatory Vaccination Policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families and the community at large from infectious diseases such as COVID-19 and the flu, which may be reduced by annual vaccinations. This policy complies with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
To learn more about this opportunity and our School, please visit https://www.cesjds.org/about/work-at-cesjds
The Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The School encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.