The Finance Director serves as the financial officer of the Jewish Community Center of the Lehigh Valley (JCC). The position is responsible for overseeing and directing all financial and administrative activities of the JCC, including accounting, budgeting, financial planning and reporting, internal audit, facility management, human resources and information systems. The Finance Director is supervised by and works closely with Executive Director and other members of the executive staff and board of directors to assure that the JCC is fiscally responsible, in compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, and furthers its overall mission and objectives.
- Maintain and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Export data from the JCC’s operations software to its accounting software.
- Review detailed records of trial balance accounts to prepare and enter adjusting journal entries into accounting software.
- Create, monitor and manage receivables, accruals and deferrals consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed.
- Manage end-of-month close.
- Examine accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the organization.
- Monitor daily, weekly and monthly operating cash flows and account balances.
- Maintain fixed asset and depreciation expense records.
- Oversee the annual audit process, coordinating the provision of information to external auditors.
- Oversee the preparation of annual tax returns.
- Oversee the annual budgeting process, working with leadership staff to plan for the following fiscal year.
Leadership & Supervision
- Meet regularly with department heads to promote the agency’s financial goals, review performance, and drive revenue growth across departments.
- Provide leadership in creating, planning, and executing agency financial goals. Work together with the Program Director to grow revenue in program departments.
- Serve as the primary staff person on the board of director’s Finance Committee, preparing reports and attending monthly meetings.
- Supervise other accounting and operations staff as assigned.
- Assist with JCC programs and events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Finance Director may additionally be given other responsibilities and areas of supervision depending on their background and interests.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field (bachelor’s degree strongly preferred).
- A CPA certification is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a full-charge accrual accounting role. Experience with a not-for-profit agency is a plus.
- Superb Excel skills, with proficiency in other Office applications. Experience with accounting software (MIP Abila is a plus, but not required).
- Creative and analytical thinking, with the ability to independently identify problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers and lay leaders.
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality of donors and internal work processes.
- Strong interest in personal and career development and continued learning.
- Knowledge of the JCC field and Jewish culture, traditions and celebrations.
Salary will be commensurate with education, qualifications and experience. Please include a cover letter with salary requirements. Please, no phone calls.