The Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is seeking a creative, dynamic collaborator to join its energetic team as a Development Associate. This person will provide support for annual campaign, Foundation and other fundraising and development efforts. This position requires passion for our mission, enthusiasm, excellent organizational abilities and computer skills, creativity, good humor and a goal-focused outlook. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal communication abilities and be able to successfully nurture mutually beneficial relationships.
Located in southeast Michigan, Ann Arbor is a vibrant and energetic college town famous for the University of Michigan, its beautiful parks and nature areas and cultural offerings. Ann Arbor boasts a lively downtown, a healthy economy, regular festivals, and strong schools and neighborhoods. As a result, it is consistently rated highly on lists of small cities and was named by niche.com as the 2017 best city to live in America. The greater Ann Arbor community encompasses Ypsilanti, the vibrant and diverse home of Eastern Michigan University, and several warm and welcoming small towns including Saline, Dexter and Chelsea.
The greater Ann Arbor Jewish community has a population of approximately 8,000, though this number is purely an estimate and may underrepresent the true size of the community. The Federation is in the process of initiating a community-wide demographic study to gain a fuller picture of the size and scope of the community. It is clear, however, that the Jewish community is strong and diverse with congregations representing a broad spectrum of Jewish communal life, a warm and educationally exceptional Jewish elementary school, a thriving Jewish Community Center, and a robust and compassionate Jewish Family Services.
The mission of the Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is provide and inspire philanthropic leadership and community building to nurture a strong, engaged, connected, caring, vibrant and enduring community locally, in Israel and around the world. The most recent annual campaign raised $1.4 million, and the community’s endowment stands at over $10 million.
Reporting to the Communications & Development Manager, the Development Associate will implement a comprehensive and strategic Financial Resource Development (FRD) plan designed to expand the annual campaign and overall communal philanthropic capacity of the Ann Arbor Jewish community, as well as enhance the organization’s public communications efforts. The successful candidate will support efforts to develop, cultivate, and manage donors; support volunteer workers; assure adherence to Campaign time schedules; and maintain a database of donors and prospects.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a strong sense of purpose, initiative, commitment and personal responsibility. This position is a hands-on role which will require confidence, flexibility, good time management, confidentiality, and the ability to be persistent and strategic when often juggling multiple tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
In partnership with the Executive Director, Communications & Development Manager, Federation team, Campaign Chair, and volunteer committees, the Development Associate will support all Financial Resource Development (FRD) and communications operations. This person will:
- Participate in the recruitment, training, support, motivation and empowerment of campaign volunteers
- Assist in planning, organizing, implementing and staffing of events and/or special projects in support of FRD priorities and community engagement
- Become a leader within the organization in utilizing the donor database to produce clear development-related reports, and assess and update donor-related data
- Assist with donor acknowledgement and recognition efforts
- Support the development of marketing tools and materials for well-rounded campaign communications, including social and print media
- Support coordination and implementation of on-line, direct mail, and one-to-one fundraising efforts
- Support efforts to secure corporate sponsorships and external foundation grants
- Provide administrative assistance to the Jewish Foundation of Greater Ann Arbor (under the Federation’s umbrella)
- Promote the mission of Federation at all times through superior customer service to all and through the efficient use of and care for all resources.
- Work closely with other staff on planning and implementing Federation events and programs.
- Serve as an ambassador of the Federation and foster positive professional relationships with Federation and agency colleagues
- Attend weekly staff meetings, community events as needed, and professional development seminars and conferences as needed
Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum one to three years of fundraising, volunteer management or related professional related experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and possessing excellent strategies for and persistence with follow-up
- Comfort learning and using new technology
- Knowledge of Jewish community a plus
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative thinker and team player with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks and meticulous attention to detail and follow-up
- Employees must be vaccinated. In case of extenuating medical-related circumstances, a weekly Covid test will be required
- Federation employees work in the offices based at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Ann Arbor on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Remote work is an option on Mondays & Fridays
- Federation employees comply with all JCC Covid policies, including masking in public areas near young children
Please submit cover letter and resume to Rachel Wall at [email protected]