If you are an experienced social media marketer with a passion for building digital communities and interested in making a positive impact, look no further. The Social Media & Community Manager – a key role on JDC’s global Marketing & Communications (MarCom) team – will set and implement content strategy and drive engagement with the JDC brand across social media channels. This person will be responsible for understanding and growing JDC’s audiences while amplifying the organizational brand on social media to expand and enrich our networks.
Thinking about applying?
Frequently cited statistics show that historical biases in hiring lead to fewer applications from underrepresented groups due to a false perception that they must meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic and apply if you meet a majority of the requirements. We look forward to your application.
What will you do as JDC’s ‘Social Media & Community Manager’?
- Develop, manage, and report on KPIs for JDC’s social media activity
- Create JDC’s social media content strategy in alignment with overarching marketing goals, including boosting the organization’s profile on relevant platforms, increasing followers, and driving engagement
- Implement the strategy by crafting and/or editing written, visual, and multimedia content
- Tailor content to specific platform(s) and audience(s), optimizing posts/activity for visibility and engagement
- Develop social-first marketing campaigns to attract new followers and engage existing community members
- Timely monitoring of JDC social channels and those of partner and related organizations, and responsiveness to any inquiries, comments, or messages
- Leverage existing relationships (stakeholders, partners, funders, donors) to increase followers and expand JDC’s reach on social media
- Explore the expansion of JDC activity to new social channels (e.g., Reddit, TikTok, Discord), especially to cultivate audiences that will donate cryptocurrency
- Propose and leverage influencer marketing on social media
- Liaise with colleagues in the U.S. and across the globe to source content and assets, as well as to ensure that all posts are on-brand and comply with JDC standards, policies, and legal guidelines (e.g., apolitical, prioritizing client dignity and safety, GDPR)
- Utilize social listening tools to insert JDC into relevant conversations and understand brand perception
- Monitor general news and responding to developments in real time, bearing in mind JDC’s organizational priorities and sensitivities
- Regularly track and report on performance (e.g., engagement, retention, growth), with analysis and actionable insights
What qualifications do you need to be JDC’s ‘Social Media & Community Manager’?
- Prior professional experience in social media management, preferably at a global organization or non-profit, required
- Experience with day-to-day handling of high-profile brand social channels including conceptualization, coordination, and creation of on-brand content
- Experience working across various social media channels, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other platforms (as relevant)
- Campaign strategy skills, ability to develop short- and long-term strategies to build brand profiles across channels
- Understanding of SEO best practices
- Experience identifying and learning the sensitivities and nuances of a social community, and using precise language to align with a brand and avoid unintended controversy required; experience with Jewish communities a plus
- Ability to navigate the needs and priorities of multiple stakeholders, particularly in high-stakes, fast-paced environments
- Excellent time and project management skills; detail-orientation
- Outstanding writing skills, ability to create copy customized to different channels and audiences
- Strong understanding of data and analytics
- Familiarity with Microsoft 365
- Ability to travel internationally
- Confidence in utilizing social media publishing, listening, and analytics platforms/tools (e.g., Sprout, Hootsuite, FB Ads Manager) strongly preferred
- Proficiency in photo editing (e.g., Adobe Premiere/Photoshop) required; video editing/production experience strongly preferred (e.g., Final Cut Pro, iMovie)
- Experience engaging and messaging influencers and high-profile individuals for social campaigns preferred
- Understanding of cryptocurrency and how to market on social media preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in marketing, communications, or related field a plus
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Hours: 35 hours/week, 8:45 AM – 4:45PM
- Location: New York, NY (hybrid)
- Reports to: Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications
- Job Function/Department: MarCom (Marketing/Communications)
- Other: May require occasional domestic and/or international travel
What are the compensation and benefits for a ‘Social Media & Community Manager’?
This a full time/part time position paid semi-monthly at a salary of $65,000-$80,000 per year; in determining where a candidate falls in that range JDC considers several factors, including skills and experience, internal equity, and cost of living in location of work. This role is exempt per the FLSA.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
- Paid time off, including vacation days, sick and personal days, and Jewish and national holidays
- Paid parental leave policy
- 403(b) with JDC contributions of 6.5% of salary
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
- Learning & Development: Ongoing opportunities for professional development through workshops and trainings with our internal L&D program
- Food Perks: Bagel Thursdays and beverages/snacks in the office for on-site and hybrid employees
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others.
- A Global Environment – You will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world.
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Collectively we are dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of others.
We require the individual who fills this role to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC definition. We require the individual in this role to be fully vaccinated by their first day of work and to maintain that status. JDC provides reasonable accommodations, and this may be subject to disability and religious exemptions. Contact HR if you need to request an accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading global Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Application Deadline: November 18, 2022
Expected Start Date: December 5, 2022
JDC – the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or "The Joint" – is the leading Jewish humanitarian organization, working in 70 countries to lift lives and strengthen communities. We rescue Jews in danger, provide aid to vulnerable Jews, develop innovative solutions to Israel’s most complex social challenges, cultivate a Jewish future, and lead the Jewish community’s response to crises. For over 100 years, our work has put the timeless Jewish value of mutual responsibility into action, making JDC essential to the survival of millions of people and the advancement of Jewish life across the globe.
For more information, please visit www.JDC.org.