About The Position
The Communications Manger develops and implements all communications and marketing endeavors, both external and internal, across all digital, print, and social media platforms. S/he shares our inspiring organizational story and cultivates new audiences seeking meaningful Jewish connection.
About Our Synagogue
Our synagogue consists of a thriving congregation, school, pre-school, camp, and youth group. In addition to daily worship services, multiple educational opportunities exist for deep learning, social justice, and Jewish engagement throughout the year. With 325 member families, 75 pre-school families, and more than 50 employees, our synagogue is known for its extensive spiritual, educational, and musical programs designed for individuals, couples, and families at all stages of life.
Our synagogue is located on a five-acre campus which includes sacred, gathering, and educational spaces, and a gymnasium.
You are passionate about using cutting-edge and traditional methods of communications and media, and you have a vision of how an organization can best spread its message and narrative. You are a team player with a proven record of successful collaboration across all levels of an organization. You are creative and express that creativity through your writing, design, and problem-solving abilities. You are attentive to detail in all aspects of your work, especially in proofreading, editing, and readying materials for publication online or in print. You are well-established in your field with expertise in all aspects of marketing, communications, and promotions, but you are not above the details and can easily manage multiple tasks and deadlines. You are not only proficient in but are excited about both old and new media. You are familiar with Jewish culture, spirituality, and traditions or possess a desire to learn more. You are excited to tell the story of our synagogue’s unique history, present, and future in the NY and American Jewish landscape.
- Develop and implement communications and engagement strategies to advance our synagogue’s brand, generate virtual and foot traffic, and encourage membership growth;
- Ensure consistency in brand and voice in cultivating an engaged social media community;
- Create and implement campaigns for large-scale events and initiatives (e.g., High Holy Days, religious observances, festivals, educational series, conferences, and more);
- Create content for the synagogue’s website, social media channels, and printed publications, and plan for the eventual replacement of current website;
- Create and send weekly newsletter blasts to constituents as well one-off emails regarding upcoming events, programs, deadlines, etc.;
- Create and implement actionable plans to both grow and retain followers through popular social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube and LinkedIn as well as local and national press, social media influencers, etc.;
- Develop and implement data collection and report on strategies to improve our synagogue’s personalized communications, targeted campaigns, and audience development/retention;
- Report on the success of various communication strategies using a variety of digital analytics and media tracking tools;
- Collaborate with clergy, senior management, and lay leaders on multiple projects;
- Create and manage marketing and communications budget;
- Work with freelance designers as needed to augment and maintain synagogue’s high standards for design and branding for all marketing and communications needs;
- As a key staff member in our religious educational institution, role-model for our members and the broader synagogue community the tenets of our faith on a daily basis; participate in transmitting the expectations and values of our faith, playing a critical and essential role in the Temple’s ability to minister to the daily needs of our students and members;
- Fulfill other duties as assigned including support of the Executive Director when necessary.
- Two to five years of experience in marketing, advertising, or similar field that would strongly indicate excellence in this position;
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, journalism, business, liberal arts, or related field; candidates with an Associates Degree and robust professional experience may be considered;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of our synagogue;
- Stellar writing and editing skills;
- Relevant experience in identifying a target audience and catering unique marketing campaigns to capture their attention;
- Team player who collaborates well with peers, high-level volunteers, and senior management;
- Tested understanding of marketing strategy and the leveraging of marketing concepts in various forms of outreach;
- Experienced user of WordPress, Squarespace, Wix or other website platforms/content management systems;
- Experience with a wide range of social media platforms and proficiency using multi-social posting programs such as Hootsuite and HubSpot;
- Experience with graphic design, from development through implementation;
- Adept user of Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Suite
- General knowledge of Search Engine Optimization and internet ranking for web content and Google web analytics;
- Familiarity with ChaverWare (or other CRM software) a plus but not essential;
- Born to multitask.
Submit your resume and two relevant writing samples to [email protected]
Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Examples may include:
- Short-form event promotional copy (100 words or fewer)
- Long-form published article or essay (400-500 words)
- Press release of any length
Our synagogue is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls, please.