Ronald C Wornick Jewish Day School
Director of Learning Support
Ronald C. Wornick Jewish Day School is a pluralistic Jewish community day school serving students in Transitional Kindergarten through 8th grade in the Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area. We are seeking a full time Director of Learning Support.
Our school values caring, passionate, creative, and self-reflective practitioners who are open to teaching and learning using new, innovative methods. Our teachers create safe, supportive, and intellectual learning environments while striving to help students fully develop and fulfill their academic and personal potential.
The role of the Director of Learning Support is to oversee and implement student learning plans; to work with teachers to differentiate their curriculum as needed; to support students and teachers in their efforts to advance students with different learning needs; and work with parents and outside professionals as needed.
Reports to: the Assistant Head of School, with final jurisdiction of the Head of School.
Primary responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Knowledge of the current student learning plans.
- Creates and implements a protocol for determining who will receive academic support.
- Reviews SST Referral Process for students with academic needs and determines what further actions need to occur.
- Provides initial screenings to help guide next steps.
- Assists teachers in classrooms to help differentiate instruction as needed,
- Works with parents to recommend tutors, neuropsych-educational evaluators, etc., Meets with outside specialists as needed.
- Provides individualized/group instruction and/or support to students with academic needs
- Responsible for maintaining the scheduling of academic support teachers/tutors working with students on campus throughout the school day
- In collaboration with the members of each SST, creates, maintains and oversees an educational plan for each student requiring support and accommodations. Includes action items for teacher(s), student, parents, and academic support specialist/tutor.
- Establishes and maintains frequent communication with parents, including phone calls, emails, parent meetings, SST check-ins, etc. Makes recommendations for home interventions.
- Schedules, attends, takes notes of meetings for all students receiving Instructional Support, transfers meeting notes to SST document
- Seeks out new and innovative curricula, texts, and technological applications for implementation in our classrooms.
- Remains current with accepted and appropriate instructional theory, practice and research, participates in professional development.
- Provides input to teachers regarding student report cards as necessary.
- Attends and participates in weekly faculty meetings, committee meetings, school functions, and professional development activities during and after school hours as needed, appropriate and assigned.
- Upholds the philosophy, principles, policies, and procedures of Ronald C Wornick Jewish Day School.
- Represents Ronald C Wornick Jewish Day School positively in the school community and the wider community.
- Adheres to strict student confidentiality.
- Performs other tasks as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Assistant Head of School or Head of School.
Qualifications and Desired Characteristics
- Possession of a valid Special Education credential
- Possession of a Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Three-five years of successful, full time teaching experience in Special Education and reading literacy, preferred
- Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an educational environment
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with multiple constituencies;
- Excellent written, communication, and presentation skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, and Gmail
- Initiative, leadership, and tenacity
- Able to stay positive through challenges
- Detail-oriented team player willing to roll up sleeves and get the job done
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the Ronald C Wornick Mission and Guiding Principles
Some team planning meetings may require additional time after school. Occasional evening and weekend commitments are required throughout the school year, as well.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise.
Ronald C Wornick Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer and opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
How to Apply:
Please do not call the school. If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter, resume, and names of three references to [email protected] Please reference Director of Learning Support in the subject line of your email.