Gilchrist is a nationally recognized, nonprofit leader in serious illness and end-of-life care. With elder medical care, counseling and hospice, we help people at every stage of serious illness live life to the fullest and make informed choices about their care. Since 1994, the organization has served thousands of individuals throughout Central Maryland— in homes, in skilled nursing and residential care communities, and at our three inpatient hospice centers in Towson, Howard County and Baltimore. Gilchrist is accredited by CHAP (Community Health Accreditation Partner), a recipient of the prestigious Circle of Life award from the American Hospital Association, and part of GBMC HealthCare, which received the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige Quality Award in 2020.
To better meet the needs of Jewish people with serious illness and their families in the communities we serve, Gilchrist has an extensive Jewish Care and Support Program. Through this program, individuals receive care, support, and services that are sensitive to Jewish customs, rituals and laws.
We are looking for an Associate Director to lead this program with passion for service, deep roots in the Jewish community, and understanding of Jewish law and customs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serves as a thought partner with leadership to develop and implement plans to meet the vision of the Jewish Care and Support Program.
- Assesses the needs of Jewish patients, their families and the community at large and creates programs, initiatives, and events to meet these needs.
- In collaboration with the clinical team leaders, identifies Jewish patients and families and ensures that their care respects the sanctity of Jewish rituals and customs related to end of life care.
- Conducts listening sessions to understand the barriers to using palliative and hospice care and then educates the Jewish community around these barriers to enhance utilization of these services.
- Builds and leads organizational partnerships to advance the mission.
- Assists in the recruitment, nurturing, and engagement of the Jewish Advisory Council members to the mission of the program by matching skills, interests, and passions of the members to the work.
- Deepens relationships with key customers including Jewish physicians, community rabbis and leaders in Jewish organizations.
- Educates staff to help enhance their knowledge, understanding, and humility in serving the Jewish community.
- Ensures that the program values are embraced.
Enhancements to care for the Jewish Community:
- A full-time rabbi and consulting Rabbis (on call) to support the spiritual needs of Jewish patients and their families.
- Newly constructed space at Gilchrist Center Towson. The space includes a Jewish chapel and family area.
- Oversight by a specially selected advisory committee that includes community members and volunteers. This committee is invested in the program’s success, as well as specially selected Gilchrist staff.
- Grief services, including one-on-one counseling and support groups. These services are offered jointly through Gilchrist and Jewish Community Services, an agency of The Associated.
The Gilchrist Jewish Care and Support Program Values:
- Treats individuals with utmost dignity and compassion, providing services in a caring and sympathetic manner (rachamim).
- Respects the uniqueness of the individuals we serve by supporting them in their path towards wholeness and well-being (kavod).
- Works to ensure that people can enjoy safety and security in all of their relationships (betichut).
- Believes that every family deserves the opportunity to have conflicts resolved with respect (shalom bayit).
- Works to repair the world by providing safe space for those who have suffered abuse (tikkun olam).
- Recognizes that it will need to work with other partners to meet all of these needs (avodat tsevet).
- Encourages and supports closeness and interaction between a family’s generations along with family legacy ( l’dor v’dor).
The Ideal candidate will have:
Bachelor's degree in healthcare administration, nursing, chaplaincy, social work, or related field with a minimum of three years’ experience working in a healthcare environment serving the Jewish community.
How to Apply:
Gilchrist offers competitive salary and excellent benefits.