Jewish Council for Youth Services (JCYS) is a 114-year-old, Chicago-based nonprofit organization that provides early childhood education and camping programs to a diverse community across Chicagoland. With a budget of over $9 million, JCYS programs touch over 500 families a year through four locations. In addition, JCYS’s Board of Directors is a training ground for future Jewish and civic leaders while serving as important fiduciaries of the agency. Our leadership development program is not only half of our mission, but also an intentional and planned series of experiences and trainings to fully prepare our board members for a life of leadership.
JCYS is seeking an experienced development professional to join our development team. The ideal candidate is a motivated individual with several years of development, fundraising, or related work experience. This individual has a passion for fundraising and will be committed to expanding the agency’s resource development across all sectors.
Key Functions & Responsibilities
- Prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals and reports to a variety of foundations, ensuring that all foundation deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with key program staff to craft compelling narratives, obtain reporting metrics, develop project budgets, and evaluate progress toward goals.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer’s and Director of Development’s donor cultivation and stewardship efforts.
- Conduct prospect research on potential foundation and corporate supporters.
- Manage all aspects of the donor database, including keeping up to date on new processes and training the other team members when necessary
- Build and maintain reports related to development activities.
- Prepare and process gift acknowledgment letters.
- Manage event execution and support other development projects as needed.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Characteristics
- Proficiency in the Microsoft suite of products and Adobe PDF required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent grammar and strong editing skills.
- A driven self-starter who is able work independently, as part of a team, and with off-site program staff.
- Strong project and time management skills with the ability to work well under pressure and effectively meet multiple internal and external deadlines.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Commitment to organizational efficiency, including best practices in database and project management.
- Highly adaptable to a variety of work processes and environments.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Communications or English degree preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant professional work experience.
- Commitment to and understanding of the mission of JCYS.
- Proven track record of building successful relationships.
- Experience navigating and managing donor databases.
- Flexibility and willingness to work remotely and on-site.
- Positive, cheerful demeanor and interest in being part of a great work team.
Salary commensurate with experience.
JCYS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.