JOB TITLE: Director of Business Development
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
Jewish Family Services seeks a Business Development Director for its Ann Arbor, MI office. The Manager will work closely with and report to the Director of Development, Chief Program Officer and Executive Director to identify and implement business development strategies. The Director will achieve results through analysis of existing JFS revenue producing services, profitable community partnerships, opportunities, account management and new client acquisition. The generation of earned revenue is to be accomplished by supporting effective collaboration, strategic planning and continuous process improvement.
- Analyze and determine cost(s) to deliver JFS services that have revenue generation potential
- Contribute financial analysis/budgeting to strategic planning, grant applications and reporting requirements
- Seek opportunities for optimizing revenue generation under existing services: contribute suggestions to JFS leadership
- Develop sales or partnership opportunities by researching and identifying potential accounts and decision makers
- Screen potential business deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities
- Create and Lead implementation of business plans
- Identify JFS areas for process improvement and implement changes
- Add efficiencies to existing JFS service delivery through continuous process improvement
- Maintain excellent relationships with current clients; renew and/or up-sell contracts in all service areas before contracts expire
- Work in partnership with Development and program staff by identifying target audience and contributing to overall content and communication strategy
Strategic Planning & Performance Management. Working closely with the Executive Director to:
- Implement all aspects of the JFS’ continuous improvement cycle, including strategic planning, unit-level budgeting, goal setting, and quarterly organizational performance check-ins/reviews
- Supervise project managers and monitor the performance of each business unit against strategic goals/objectives; provide regular feedback and supports to optimize performance
The candidate will be a highly self-directed and organized leader who possesses experience, preferably in business start-ups, or non-profit management/administration. They will have experience in opportunity qualification, prospecting through telephone, email, and in person, attending networking meetings or conferences to build out network, consistently checking in with leads or potential customers and warming customers throughout their buying cycle. Strong problem identification and objection resolutions skills, ability to build and maintain lasting relationships, and exceptional verbal communications and presentation skills are a must. Self-motivation, reliability, flexibility, discretion, thoroughness, accuracy, and a commitment to the JFS’ mission are critical.
SKILLS/EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND REQUIRED
The candidate is expected to hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in Business Administration or equivalent is preferred. Must have a solid mix of management and administrative experience. Project management experience is essential. Content expertise in a related field (e.g., business start-up, human services, health care, etc.) is desirable.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/EQUIPMENT & POSITION
Flexibility is required to adapt to the dynamic work environment of a small non-profit organization. The climate is informal but fast-paced and mission-driven. Excellence is valued in every position. The salary range, duties and responsibilities of this position meets the requirements of Section 13 (a) (1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act and therefore qualifies as an "exempt" position.