Maternity Substitute for Full Time Educator
Congregation Beth Elohim (CBE) is a vibrant, cutting-edge Reform synagogue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. We are a welcoming and inclusive community, rooted in Jewish history and identity, and profoundly open to diversity in all its forms. We come together to learn, to pray, to celebrate the rhythm of Jewish time, and to support each other through the joys and sorrows of our lives. We are a spiritual, cultural and intellectual center for Jewish revitalization, fostering community and extending our values of justice, education, and inspiration throughout the neighborhoods where we live and beyond.
We are seeking a Maternity Sub Full Time Educator for Yachad, CBE’s Religious Education Program. Yachad serves nearly 500 students with full-time educators learning, creating curriculum and sustaining a meaningful community for themselves, their students and families. Our current daily structure is mornings for meetings, professional development, mentorship, lesson planning, administration work and monthly social justice work. Lead educators teach 2 - 3 classes a day and are responsible for writing two grades-worth of curriculum. Members of the Yachad full-time and part-time team receive ongoing professional and leadership development training throughout the year.
CBE believes in ongoing Jewish exploration and living through deep Judaic and ritual exploration. CBE is committed to Judaism (Jewish experiences and education) that is inclusive and accessible to all. As a Yachad Lead Educator, they must have excellent communication and organizational skills, a warm and inclusive demeanor. They should be a collaborative and flexible Jewish leader and educator.
Responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Curriculum development and classroom teaching
- Work with Educators and Clergy to make sure that programming is consistent and meaningful.
- Attend professional development, work with mentors and turn-key learning to colleagues
- Create opportunities for family engagement and programming that aligns with grade level curriculum; from development through implementation
- Planning and logistics for grade level in-house and out of house trips; including the Yachad Retreat. - Develop meaningful relationships with students and families
- Ongoing communication with parents and overall CBE community; email, phone, in-person, social media, etc.
- Be a supportive member of the CBE team
Qualifications and Expectations
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters degree a plus)
- A minimum of 2 years of previous leadership experience (including teaching, camp staff, youth group advisor, etc.)
- Dedication to teaching and experience working with children
- Excellent organization and communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal)
- Passion for Judaism and Jewish education
- Solid Jewish background and literacy, facility with Hebrew language a plus
- A team player with sound organization and time management skills that interacts positively with all team members to meet CBE’s objectives.
- Background check required
Communication: Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Requires good oral and written communication skills. This describes the current position and is not an employment contract. We reserve the right to modify job duties and responsibilities at any time. To perform a variety of manual tasks; follow oral and written directions; plan and complete assigned duties on a regular schedule; maintain good working relationships with others. To follow all company policies as outlined in the employee handbook.
To apply, please send your resume and contact information for 3 professional references to Adva Zingher. Please email [email protected].
Reports to: Director of Yachad and Family Education
Schedule: This is a full-time position with Fridays and most Sundays off. This position requires flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. The position is year-round with light summer mid-June to July.
Salary Range: 18K - 19K