Temple Beth Shalom in beautiful Vero Beach, Florida, seeks a passionate, dynamic, innovative Cantor/Cantorial Soloist to partner with our Rabbi in leading our inclusive, nurturing and progressive Reform Jewish congregation. Temple Beth Shalom is dedicated to the Jewish values of study, worship and social responsibility. As a caring community and House of Peace, we strive to meet the spiritual, intellectual, social and cultural needs of each member of our Temple family.
Our diverse community is welcoming to Jews of all backgrounds, including interfaith families. Within our warm and inviting surroundings, our community empowers meaningful participation to create a special sense of belonging. We focus not only on what you believe or how you “do” Judaism but on connecting to a community where we celebrate our simchas (sweet moments), find support through tzuris (challenges), find holiness in our everyday life and make our world a better place. Temple Beth Shalom has approximately 200 multi-generational and diverse family units, and proudly serves as the center of Jewish life in Indian River County. While small, our community is vibrant and mighty.
We are looking for a candidate who will share their specific passions and use them to help us deepen our Jewish experience, individually and collectively.
Music is an important element in our warm and inviting community. It is a core part of our spirituality, ritual experiences, learning, and social gatherings. We enjoy singing together, embracing creativity and innovation in our music selections, while also cherishing tradition and taking comfort in the familiarity of Jewish melodies. We welcome someone who will lead us and inspire us with their musical talent and intention and who will bring the joy of Jewish music to our congregation.
- Plan and lead weekly Shabbat services (using Mishkan T’filah on Friday Night and Siddur Lev Shalem on Shabbat Morning), Torah reading, holiday celebrations, life cycle events, and enrichment programs with our Rabbi and lay leadership
- Encourage congregational involvement (people of a variety of musical skill and background) in music and prayer, including directing our Shalom Singer volunteer choir, with potential for establishing a children’s chorus and Ruach and Roll band
- Partner with the TBS education team on the music and prayer curriculum for our Religious School program
- Teach classes and tutor students in the Religious School and our adult education program, including in the B’nai Mitzvah program, including leading school assemblies
- Participate in pastoral care duties as assigned by the Rabbi
- Broaden and enhance the Temple’s vision for integrating music into synagogue life in collaboration with the Rabbi and lay leadership
- Serve as staff liaison for one of our congregational life portfolios (ex. Men’s Club or Sisterhood, Adult Learning and Cultural programming or Caring Community Group)
- Collaborate with our leadership team for Temple events and outreach to congregants and wider community
- Fluency in guitar and/or piano, music reading, basic harmony and Trope
- Knowledge of liturgy and rituals of Shabbat services, lifecycle events, and holidays
- Creative, innovative and caring individual who is passionate about Jewish study and life
- Strong organizational, communication, and collaboration skills for working with staff, lay leaders, volunteers and community members
- Ability to relate to people of all ages
- Comfortable representing Temple Beth Shalom in the wider Indian River Community
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Training in voice, music education
- Musical leadership in a Jewish setting
- Comfort with using (or willingness to learn) Google Workplace, Microsoft Suite, Zoom and working with theater-style technical systems
- Experience teaching learners of varied ages
This position is flexible ¾ time with the potential to lead to a full-time position.
Salary Range: $55,000-$65,000
Apply via the job posting or by sending your resume and cover letter to [email protected]