The Weitzman National Museum of American Jewish History, located on historic Independence Mall in Philadelphia, brings to life the 350- year history of Jews in America. Tracing the stories of how Jewish immigrants became Jewish Americans, the Museum invites visitors of all heritages to share their own stories and reflect on how their histories and identities shape and are shaped by the American experience. An open door for all, NMAJH honors the past and contributes to a better future by sharing the power of imagination and ideas, culture and community, leadership and service, in ways that turn inspiration into action.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Under the direction of the Chief Public Engagement Officer, the Director of Communications and Marketing will govern the development, implementation, and assessment of integrated communications, marketing, and advertising plans to establish NMAJH’s newly articulated brand and support the Museum’s annual attendance and revenue goals, educational outreach programs, and overall mission. You will serve as the marketing liaison to Development, Exhibitions, Education, Visitor Services, Public Programs, Retail (Store and Café) and Facilities Rentals teams.
In addition to serving as the principal liaison on behalf of the Museum with the tourism, hospitality, cultural and destination marketing sectors, you will oversee marketing, external communications, including website and other promotional and editorial publications, and media relations. Working in close cooperation with all Museum departments, you will be relied upon to ensure the voice of the Museum’s spirit is effectively told through varied stories across multiple audiences.
Management, Planning, and Research
- Works in close collaboration with the Director and other senior staff to set and achieve or exceed visitation and revenue goals
- Provides leadership on marketing and branding strategy to increase new and repeat visitation by individuals and groups, (local, regional, and national), program attendance, facilities rentals and events usage, and to expand awareness of NMAJH among Jewish and non-Jewish leadership, cultural heritage, education, business and community service organizations and
- Serves as primary strategist on advertising and promotions and develops and manages these respective budgets. Works closely with colleagues to ensure that budgets are properly allocated and tracked to maximize the Museum’s presence in target media and markets.
- Communicates regularly with other departments and works to understand their needs and unique challenges; anticipates opportunities; works collaboratively toward setting and achieving actionable, strategic, research-based marketing activities; and develops and implements marketing strategies and/or plans to support their
- Gathers, analyzes and applies consumer, market and visitor insight to guide marketing messaging, targeting and Recommends and oversees market research as needed. Maintains familiarity with third-party and publicly available market research data and shares insights with Museum colleagues.
- Serves as manager, mentor, motivator and technical resource to direct reporting staff. Reinforces the belief and expectation in teamwork and open communication through excellent role
- Recruits, trains and manages communications, marketing, community relations and social media staff and
- Identifies and manages contracted marketing, advertising, public relations, design and copywriting services as required, to ensure brand and core message
- Manages a small
Communications and Content Development
- Oversees organizational messaging and content development for external communications including the website, social media, newsletter, and other constituent communications, collateral and promotional materials.
- Develops annual editorial calendar and leads organizational editorial
- Oversees the development, implementation, and assessment of annual comprehensive, integrated marketing plan and marketing and advertising campaigns for paid admissions visitors, exhibitions, public programs, cultural tourism, and special
- Evaluates advertising campaigns based on reach, frequency, spend, and
- Works with Group Sales to develop packages, promotional materials and incentives for tour
- Develops and implements creative targeted marketing initiatives across all media, including print, broadcast and digital, to generate new and repeat paid visitation.
Media/Public Relations and Promotion
- Oversees media and public relations, developing annual strategic communications framework as well as tactical implementation plans throughout the
- Develops and maintains a network of media contacts in the Jewish and general media. Serves as organizational Pitches news stories, coverage opportunities, and features; supervises press events and photo opportunities.
- Oversees organizational presence on a variety of social media platforms and works to build national communities of Works cooperatively with other departments and internal and external subject matter experts to generate a continuous stream of lively, relevant content.
- Builds and maintains promotional partnerships with key donors, sponsors, media outlets and outside organizations and businesses as a way to extend NMAJH’s presence in key markets and reach new audience segments. Evaluates these partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Advertising or related field and/or 7–10 years professional marketing experience in a senior management
- Museum or other cultural organization or destination marketing experience
- Established network of relationships in tourism/destination marketing, media, and/or Jewish culture/media/causes.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication Ability to write quickly, accurately, persuasively and compellingly.
- Ability to multi-task while prioritizing and managing a heavy
- Strong strategic planning and organizational skills with strict attention to
- Strong project management experience with all forms of communications, marketing and public relations campaign
- Familiarity with the Philadelphia tourism market and destination marketing industry a
- Highly driven, self-motivated and independent work
- Demonstrated ability to manage with humor, humanity, creativity and courage and to work collaboratively in a diverse work Must be able to impart diplomacy and professionalism in all situations.
- Experience in implementing online and social media strategies and an enthusiasm for non-traditional
- Experience in or demonstrated comfort level working with diverse cultural heritage
- Experience with a start-up organization is a
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package.
Please attach a resume, cover letter and recent writing sample. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please, no calls.