Hillel UofT - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About Hillel Ontario
Hillel Ontario is the largest Hillel organization affiliated with Hillel International, supporting over 14,000 Jewish students across nine Universities in Ontario. Hillel engages with, empowers, and inspires the leadership of more Jewish university and college students than all other endeavours combined. By promoting Jewish identity through life-changing trips and campus initiatives, cultivating student leadership, and embracing religious and political diversity in an inclusive environment, students learn to make meaningful impact on the future of the Jewish people and the world while they grow intellectually, socially, and spiritually. In the end, our mission is to enrich the lives of Ontario Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish community, Israel, and the world.
About the Role
The Advocacy Associate is an integral part of the local campus team, whose primary focus is on the advocacy initiatives of Hillel’s student leaders. The Advocacy Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating and implementing Hillel Ontario's advocacy strategy on a local campus level and play an integral role in managing, both proactively and reactively, advocacy-related issues on campus. The Advocacy Coordinator will cultivate relationships with Jewish and non-Jewish student leadership in pursuit of Hillel’s advocacy objectives.
- Create and execute a proactive advocacy strategy for the local Hillel, identifying specific goals and measurable objectives, in partnership with the Campus Director, and with support from Hillel Ontario’s Advocacy Manager
- Collaborate with other Jewish and/or Israel advocacy organizations on and off campus to further Hillel’s strategic advocacy objectives and strengthen organizational relationships.
- Provide support to Jewish and non-Jewish students affiliated with Hillel in pursuit of their advocacy interests, including working with them on their political advocacy interests, such as student political campaigns and referendums.
- Prepare for, and respond effectively and strategically, to anti-Israel/anti-Semitic incidents on campus in collaboration with the Campus Director
- Support pre-trip efforts and post-trip follow up for Maccabee Task Force trips
- Assist with the creation and implementation of strategic campaigns to advance advocacy objectives.
- Cultivate student leadership and mobilize students towards advocacy objectives on and off campus.
- Take initiative and seek opportunities to advance Hillel’s advocacy strategy on campus.
- Be able to regularly report on anti-Israel and anti-Semitic activities on campus as requested.
- Engage Jewish and non-Jewish students interested in advocacy and build strategic relationships with various stakeholders and clubs on campus.
- Be an integral part of the Hillel campus team.
What You Will Do Well
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the desire to work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Multi-task and troubleshoot effectively.
- Have knowledge and experience with network management and social networking processes.
- Energy, versatility, flexibility and maturity.
- Build effective and meaningful relationships with staff, university students, and community members.
- Enjoy community organizing, campaigning and programming.
- Maintain clear thinking and calm during times of crisis..
What You Bring
Education and Experience:
- University degree or 2-year college diploma in a related field of study
- 0-3 years of experience in student programing and engagement in a University or College environment.
- Demonstrated involvement in student government, political organizing or active engagement in campus life in university, with an understanding and appreciation for campus dynamics.
- Well-developed program development, organizational skills, and strong attention to detail.
- The ability to be strategic and have a future focused mind-set.
- Ability to take initiative and collaborate with multiple team members.
- Sophisticated written and verbal communication skills.
- Work requires on-going attention to detail with a focus on deadlines and overall engagement and advocacy results.
- Work is sometimes performed in environments where activity, noise, and lighting may have noticeable variances.
- Meetings are often held via conference call.
- Ability to manage and thrive in a multi priority environment and commitment to work hours in excess of regular shift, as needed, is a critical element of the job.
What We Offer
- A market competitive base salary starting at $42,500 annually.
- A generous benefits package that encompasses Health Insurance to include Vision and Dental, Life Insurance, and Long-Term Disability (LTD).
- Vacation starting at 10 days per year as well as available Mental Health/Wellness days.
- Flexible or hybrid work environment.
- Opportunity to join a community of people-focused professionals.
- A network of terrific colleagues from across the Hillel movement.
If you are excited about the opportunity to work with our team at Hillel Ontario, please take the time to apply through the provided platform. In the event you are experiencing difficulties, you can also submit your resume at [email protected]. Please provide the Job Title in the subject line of the email to help streamline our process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hillel Ontario is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, religion, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, record of offences, sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law, regulation, or ordinance.