About The Position
The Director of Communications develops and implements all Stephen Wise Temple, Wise School, and Aaron Milken Center (preschool) communications and marketing endeavors, external and internal, across all digital, print, and media platforms—sharing the inspiring Wise story and cultivating new audiences seeking meaningful Jewish connection.
Founded in 1964, Stephen Wise Temple is one of the largest Reform Jewish synagogues and schools in the world. The Wise community consists of a thriving congregation; Wise School (a top-tier K-6 elementary school and Early Childhood Center); Center for Youth Engagement (including Religious School, teen programming and Camp Wise); weekly worship services; and over 100 opportunities for deep learning, tikkun olam (helping those in need), and Jewish engagement throughout the year. With 1,600 member families and more than 170 employees, Wise is known for its extensive educational, spiritual, and musical programs designed for individuals, couples, and families at all stages of life.
The Wise campus is located on 19 beautiful acres atop the Mulholland Corridor of the Santa Monica Mountains and includes the state-of-the-art Katz Family Pavilion for daily athletic activities and diverse major events. The community founded by Rabbi Isaiah Zeldin is now led by Rabbi Yoshi Zweiback and a committed team of clergy, educators, administrators, and lay volunteers.
Wise makes meaning and changes the world.
You are passionate about using cutting-edge and traditional methods of communications and media, and you have a vision of how an organization can best spread its message and narrative. You are a team player with a proven record of successful collaboration across all levels of an organization. You are creative and express that creativity through your writing, design, and problem-solving abilities. You have a strong attention to detail in all aspects of your work, especially in proofreading, editing, and readying materials for publication online or in print. You are a leader in your field with expertise in all aspects of marketing, communications, and promotions, but you are not above the details and can easily manage multiple tasks and deadlines. You are not only proficient in but are excited about both old and new media. You are familiar with Jewish culture, spirituality, and traditions or possess a desire to learn more. You are excited to tell the story of Wise’s unique history, present, and future in the Los Angeles and American Jewish landscape.
- Develop and implement communications strategies to advance Wise’s brand;
- Create content for multiple websites, social media channels, and print publications;
- Create and implement campaigns for large-scale events and initiatives (e.g., High Holy Days, religious observances, festivals, educational series, conferences, and more);
- Ideate and implement virtual engagement strategies;
- Engage, cultivate, and manage media relationships with a variety of outlets including websites of local and national interest, local and national press, social media influencers, and more;
- Manage a team that includes a Communications Manager (responsible for all preschool and elementary school day-to-day communications, marketing/admissions data tracking, digital advertising efforts for schools and the community at large, and school staff communications) and Wise’s Media and Production Manager (responsible for all broadcast media including worship services, serves as webmaster for all Wise websites, creates and prints large-format graphics for the campus, and assists with small-scale digital graphic and printing needs);
- Work with freelance designers and marketing firms as needed to augment and maintain Wise’s high standards for design and branding for all marketing and communications needs;
- As part of unit including Membership and Development departments, collaborate closely with those teams (including lay leaders/volunteers) to effectively support fundraising communications and congregational programs and events;
- Develop and implement data collection and reporting strategies to improve Wise’s personalized communications, targeted campaigns, and audience development/retention;
- Serve as public relations representative for the institution and for Wise clergy, fielding media inquiries and coordinating and managing external appearances (e.g., in media, on panels), submissions for publications and websites, or other projects as needed;
- Collaborate with clergy, senior management, and lay leaders on multiple projects;
- Create and manage marketing and communications budget;
- As a key staff member in our religious educational institution, role-model the tenets of our faith on a daily basis to our members and the broader Temple community; participate in transmitting the expectations and values of our faith, playing a critical and essential role in the Temple’s ability to minister to the daily needs of our students and members;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, journalism, liberal arts, or related field;
- Extremely strong writing and editing skills;
- Five or more years of experience in marketing, advertising, or similar field that would strongly indicate excellence in this position, including at least two years in a supervisory role;
- Strong project manager and team player who collaborates well with peers, high-level volunteers, and senior management;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Stephen Wise Temple;
- Experienced user of WordPress or other website platforms/content management systems;
- Experience with a wide range of social media platforms;
- Experience with graphic design, from development through implementation;
- Adept user of Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Suite (experience with work operating systems (WOS, for example Monday.com) a plus);
- Proficient user of CRM software (experience with ShulCloud, Congregation Connect, or other synagogue CRMs a plus).
Salary of $80,000 per year in a hybrid work setting with a generous employee benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 403(b), complimentary Temple membership, and discounted tuition for Temple schools and camps.