JFS is hiring a Garden Coordinator for our new Vancouver Jewish Community Garden (VJCG). The garden is the result of an innovative community partnership between Vancouver Talmud Torah, Congregation Beth Israel and
Jewish Family Services. The garden is approximately 6000 sq. ft.; including 1800 sq. ft. of growing areas. This is a new role, as the garden will be built in spring 2023. The Garden Coordinator will be involved in stewardship and maintenance of all planted areas, gathering spaces, garden infrastructure, and coordinating oversite of multi- agency use of the garden.
Jewish Community Garden Partners
Jewish Family Services
JFS has been enhancing the quality of life for individuals and families in the Lower Mainland for 85 years. The agency delivers a continuum of social service programs to the Jewish and broader community, throughout the
Lower Mainland. JFS has a long-standing reputation for creative and professional response to community needs.
Congregation Beth Israel
Beth Israel is western Canada’s largest Conservative congregation and boasts over 640 member families. BI is committed to Jewish values and practices and is dedicated to the strengthening of all aspects of Jewish life, including worship and Torah study, religious, educational and social activities for all ages, and the observance of life cycle events.
Vancouver Talmud Torah
Vancouver Talmud Torah is an inclusive Jewish community day school committed to academic excellence and nurturing lifelong learners who engage the world through Jewish traditions and values. At Vancouver Talmud
Torah, we provide a stimulating and challenging educational environment infused with meaningful learning experiences. VTT serves families from a diverse range of Jewish backgrounds and religious practices.
Benefits & Compensation
JFS offers a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off, paid sick days, paid health and dental benefits and RRSP matching. This is a contract position from February 1, 2023 through November 30, 2023; 35 hours per week. The salary for the term of the position is $45,500. JFS is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the JFS Director of Food Security, the Garden Coordinator is responsible for:
- Garden planning and management; creating and coordinating planting and maintenance work
- Maintaining all garden equipment, tools, and irrigation system
- Coordinating volunteers, partner agency staff and associated programs
- Operating within and managing a budget
- Oversight of shared use of garden areas (and associated systems) by partner agencies
- Offering occasional workshops and/or classes to partner agency communities
- Communicating effectively in writing and verbally with community members and partner agencies
Requirements and Qualifications
- Excitement about gardening, local food systems and community engagement with learning gardens
- 1-3 years’ experience with applied production garden skills; including oversight and maintenance of:
Native pollinators and trees; edible perennials; annual vegetable production; fruit tree production and maintenance; annual and perennial flowers; irrigation systems
- Able to carry out a variety of physical tasks; bending, squatting, lifting up to 50lb, repetitive motion
- Equipped, willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Excitement about a Jewish community garden and integrating a Jewish lens into all things gardening
- Knowledge of the Jewish calendar year and Jewish agricultural laws and/or a desire to deepen one's knowledge in these subjects
- Demonstrated experience recruiting, training, mentoring and supervising volunteers
- Experience coordinating multi-agency projects, garden-based education and/or community learning gardens an asset
- Able to organize, multi-task, prioritize duties, delegate, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills across various mediums
- Excited to form relationships with community members and stakeholders
- Patience and a sense of humour
- Able to give and receive feedback
- Enjoy working independently as well as in collaboration with a team
JFS requires that all employees and volunteers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone hired after January
1, 2022 will be required to show evidence that they have received at least one dose of the vaccine prior to employment, and we will require that they be fully vaccinated within 30 days of their start date.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please attach a cover letter and resume quoting “Garden
Coordinator” to this posting by December 2, 2022.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please note that only qualified candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.